Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
transporter_ii

Freewave Radio repeaters?

2 posts in this topic

I have a question on Freewave radios. The Freewave guide states that in a point-to-multipoint setup, if a repeater is turned on, the bandwidth is reduced by 50%. (I kind of understand that, as it must be a similar setup to WDS in wireless ethernet). However, if multiple repeaters are in use, does it reduce bandwidth by 50% for each added repeater (e.g. Repeater 1 bandwidth is 50% loss, but behind repeater 2, it has only 25% bandwidth)? I'm not sure I'm even thinking right on this, which is why I'm asking? Thanks, Jay Banks

Think of it this way. Begin with Two radios (Call them A and B) communicating point to point each with a bandwidth of 10. The entire 10 units of Bandwidth can be used for communication. Now introduce another radio C which is to serve as a repeater between A and B. C only has ten units of Bandwidth. It can allot 5 untis to communicte with A and 5 units to communicate with B. The Badwith of cummunication between A nd B as been reduced by the "bottleneck" C which has a bandwith of 5. or 50%. Now intorduce Radio D between C and B. Our path is now A,C,D,B for thos of you that need reminding. A to C is 5 units, C to D is 5 units, D to B is 5 units and bandwith is still at 50%. This is my simple take on your post anyway.