Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimRowell

Ladder Diagramming Software?

6 posts in this topic

Can you guys recommend a low-cost package for drawing ladder diagrams please. I need something I can recomend to others who are not prepared to buy (or learn) the full-blown cad packages. Something both for those wanting to learn and also for project contributors. Preferably something that is not limited to plc work but can also handle external items such as sensors, switches, etc. I own SmartDraw and I've tried Visio but they both fall way short in my opinion (too general, too many irritations). There must be some reasonable programs *dedicated* to ladder out there but darned if I can find them! Thanks, Jim Rowell

Unfortunately Jim I have not seen too many that are not pricey. I know that the AutoCAD electrical software 2004 is about five thousand, and there is an alternative which is the promisE software from ECT. This is only half the price of AutoCAD and is much better to me. Only draw back I seen with this software the company wants to use something they called live interaction. Where the use of the product is monitored online whenever you are online. No privacy at all!!! But we actually bit that buller and bought this one. Here check them out, they will even do an online demo with you.ECTI International

Jim does this cut the butter for what you are looking for? Might be too low end but it's free. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?act=Downl...&CODE=02&id=146

Well, I'm looking for something for people who don't have AutoCad and who won't put out several thousand dollars either so neither suggestion really fits. Something in the free to 100.00 range. I thought there would be dozens of these floating around. I have Cad but it's not for me I'm asking. Strangely enough, exactly what I'm looking for is the second serious program I ever tried to write (way back in the early eighties). Never did finish it. Wouldn't matter anyway since not too many of these people are using Vic 20's. :-p So I guess if one wants to have a go at relay or plc field logic design and isn't at the profesional level yet, the guy is stuck with a pencil? Sheesh. (Not that I don't have fond feelings for pencils, mind you). There's gotta be something.

OH...I see. Well Smart Draw is the closest thing I've seen to what you're looking for. You have to get the pro version to get the electrical. Here is a sample page: http://www.smartdraw.com/resources/example...ical/PLCCS1.htm Pro version cost $200.00

I have a copy of SmartDraw. The latest. It's great for single-line drawings. Matter of fact that's why I own it. Its the slickest, quickest way to do them. Use it for that all the time. I recommend it to anyone who wants to do general drawing with simple lines and boxes. Pretty good for drawing combinatorial logic too. But it's rather poor for laddering. And the electrical libraries are close to being downright silly. Jim Rowell