Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mandar

Logix architecture

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I woulld like to know where I can get detials on the Logix architecture. What I want to know are things like;what kind of processors are present? Are there different processors for backplane communication and logic processing? So on and so forth. What litreature I have, does not give any details on these. I have also tried the knowledge-base, but it was not of much help. Thanks in advance.

Hello, in this site, you can get a brief introduction that describes all the disciplines involved in the logix architecture or "Integrated Architecture" thing. http://www.rockwellautomation.com/solution...edarchitecture/ hope it works...

With the ControlLogix PLC, yes, there are two physically different processors for communication and processing. With the CompactLogix and probably the other ones, the CPU is shared. Over time, it appears that the processors have been upgraded because the speeds are gradually improving. I haven't seen anything specifying which processor family (Pentium, PowerPC, IA32, ARM, Coldfire, etc.) is actually in use. I haven't split one open to find out either. Regardless, it is very obvious that the development language is C simply because the language features are so similar to C, or very easy to write in C. Because of the nature of the programming language, changing processors should be a matter of rewriting the "BIOS" or "HAL" (whatever Rockwell calls it internally) for a different hardware platform and simply recompiling everything else. If a cheaper or better processor comes along, Rockwell will probably change their production to use it. You can't access the processor directly. So this means that they can keep selling the same components even if they improve the internal design. I don't think they tell you the processor type for this reason, and it doesn't help you even if you knew what it is.