Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phenesc

HMI selection for two different automation platforms

4 posts in this topic

I have been recently tasked with selecting a new HMI solution but need to communicate with two different HMI platforms and would like the ability of the new HMI to be a server (the current application are on a DH+ network and we want to move away from that). The two platforms we have in the plant are Mitsubishi(Q and FX)(ethernet and serial) and Rockwell (PLC5, SLC5, and ControlLogix)(ehternet and serial). Here are the systems I have got information on to compare: PanelView+ GOT1000 Proface Bejeir (Exter in the US and E-series EU) MapleSystems QuickPanel What I have found is that AB works really good with AB PLc's and Mitsu panels work really good with Mitsu PLC's but not the other way round. I thought I found a compromise with the E-series terminal but Mitsu is strongly suggesting they not be used. So I contacted Bejeir directly and there seems to be some agreement around Mitsu Drivers be supplied in the states from Bejier (sounds like relationships are being severed). Proface looked like a logical choice but some of there functionality is really awkward (I am not a real big fan of writing script to make the functionality). I was wondering if anybody has experience using any of these panels across automation platforms? I have seen the e-series mentioned quite a bit in europe, but here they (Mitsu) are pushing GOT 1000. If you have not guessed I am not a big fan of the PanelView+ because of price and functionality. Thanks, Craig

I've used both E-Series and GOT1000. Personally I prefer the toolset of the GOT1000. But I can say I have never used the GOT1000 on an AB PLC. In the past, Mitsubishi was the exclusive distributor in the US for Beijer (with the E-Series (which is Cimrex overseas) and E1000 (which is Exter)), but then Beijer went and started selling Exter in the US, and in many cases through Mitsubishi distributors. Sounds like a reason for some relationship tension. The GOT1000 can do Ethernet/IP and can communicate with all of the AB PLCs. In fact, the item you mentioned about a cleint/server to share data between HMIs is a feature of the GOT1000. It can also be connected to 4 different controllers at the same time and transfer data between the controllers.

Crossbow, I just had our Mitsu distributor come in for a lunch and learn. It went well but our area sales person from Mitsu is just 6 months with the company and seems to be lacking in specific knowledge (actually gave some incorrect specifications). He can recite the brochures but deep knowledge was lacking. I asked him about ethernet IP (non tag based and tag based), but I got a blank stare (I even gave him a heads up that all the people makeing the decision on the HMI would be there and I could let them borrow two AB PLC's to demonstrate with) . I actually ended up demonstrateing the e700 (great product by the way) because even though they brought the demo, they did not know how to use it. I guess I am wondering who I should go to in mitsubishi to get technical answers instead of sales pitch. The blanket sales pitch is lost on engineers when they are looking for technical capability. I guess this is why blogs like these were created :) I am not knocking Mitsu because I have had the same experience with all the other automation companies at the sales layer. Craig

Technical information should go through their technical support group in North America. Salespeople change all the time, but there are some guys in TSG who know the E-Series inside and out. As for your tag question, the GOT does NOT support tags, you would need to tie those tags to actual AB style addresses in order for the GOT Ethernet/IP to communicate with the AB PLC.