Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dugmick

Step 7 V5.3 SP3 upgrade problems

7 posts in this topic

Hi all - I have been trying to upgrade from Step 7 V5.3 SP1 to V5.3 SP3. The installation goes along until it says something like writing values to the registry, then it rolls back and tells me it failed to install. Then, when I try to launch my V5.3 SP1, I get an error - 'missing S7OTBXDX.dll file'. I then tried to uninstall and reinstall P1, no luck, acts like the SP3 did. I tried the Siemens procedure - uninstall through Control Panel, delete all Siemens keys from the registry, delete all S7*.* entrys from the C drive, etc. Still no luck. I finally reimaged the computer, reinstalled SP1 successfully, then tried to install SP3 again. Same thing. Antivirus is turned off, using admin privileges, no other apps running, WinXP SP2. Thankfully I created an image just before I tried the SP3 install the second time. Anyone else have an issue like this? I really have some work I need to do with this computer! Thanks

try to download and install SP2 first and then SP3??

I have not tried that, Siemens told me that I did not need to, they said that I could go from SP1 directly to SP3.

correct, if you have SP1, you only need SP3 and SP3.1

I had this problem about a year ago, with the same error message, in this case caused by a failed V5.4 installation, which then wouldnt let me reinstall V5.3, even although I had 'uninstalled' V5.4. Problem was caused by a registry key which had slipped though my trawl of the registry the first time. Siemens were no help, they suggested reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling everything from scratch, which whilst it would have solved the problem is a very long winded process, after all it's not just Siemens software that has to be re-installed. Anyway about 3 hours with registry editor and I had found a few more keys which needed deleting and I was able to reinstall V5.3. When you say 'reimaged' was this a clean install, or was it an image taken after s7 had been loaded (or loaded and uninstalled). Is the V5.3 SP3 the right one, there are two versions of S7, standard and professional and our original problem was caused by the TA who did upgrades getting them mixed up, which caused the original failed install. Siemens really need to sort out the uninstall of their software, its not acceptable to have to trawl the registry doing things manually. I am aware of a few people who have had similar problems. Tech support work on the 'Siemens is the only software you will have principle' and dont care that when they suggest a reformat and install they are asking you to do hours or even days of work. After this incident we always made a disk image of the laptops before doing any s7 upgrades.

I did finally get the SP3 to install. I had to go back to a clean disc image with WinXP (no service pack), install V5.3 SP1, then V5.3 SP3 would install. I then installed WinXP SP2 upgrade. All working OK now. Apparently V5.3 SP3 didn't like XP SP2 unless XP SP2 is installed over Siemens software. Go figure. Thanks for the suggestions.

i was just installing same software on my new machine and WinXP SP2 came preinstalled. for me it worked as expected (WinXP SP2 -> Step7 5.4 SP1 -> Step7 SP3). I did have some trouble with icons on CD drive which has been resolved.