Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommu

slc 505 to bacnet

6 posts in this topic

We have numerous slc's and plc5's in our plan most of the are 505's on our plant network. We need to monitor them with a TAC (old iventisys) building management system any suggestions. The only thing I know about the BMS is it can talk Bacnet, Modbusrty, and Lonworks and I don't know any thing about them tom

Modbus is a simple protocol, which is well documented, so I would start there. I dont know anything about the other protocols. BTW Do you mean Modbus RTU... Mike

You Might want to consider using a ControlLogix CPU in a 4 or 7 slot rack as a data concentrator. Let the BAC communicate modbus with the controllogix and bring over you desired data in one large packed block. The Controllogix can communicate ethernet to the SLC505's, DH+ to your PLC5's and SLC 5/04's and DH485 to your SLC 5/03's.

I was thinking along that line too but I'm still new to control logix but it would be a good project to wet my feet with. I was looking at the opc server too but would need 2 one talking to plc's and one to bacnet and didn't come up with the way to link the opc's to gether (I'm new to this too). tom

Kepware do an OPC client server data concentrater product which works well, if you wanted to take that route. However there is nothing to stop you having 2 OPC servers running on the same PC providing they each have there own serial port if you are using serial comms