Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stef168

plc for home control

3 posts in this topic

hi guys, has anybody used a plc for home automation and security? up to what extent? can it perform at par with existing security system sold in the market? how about reliability? what would be the ideal setup? coz i'm exploring the possibility of integrating plc's to control household function and security.

I have known a number of integrators how have used a PLC for home automation. For reliability, well they do run a number of process critical applications in the market so I think that this question answers it self..... For security......well I am aware of Omron PLCs used in a prison application in the U.S.A so there's a good case study..... Questions what happens when the power is cut ??? How do you detect an open circuit, short circuit, open and closed state ??? Do cheap of the shelf security systems do this or are they just looking at the N/C reed switch. ??? There are ways around these two issues. Also on the market in the land of Oz anyways there is a product called C-Bus (put out by a company named Clipsal - I believe the Schneider now owns them) which is aimed specifically at the home automation market, the lights, switches all sit on the same power / comms bus. Very efficient in this method, I also believe that you can send ethernet over the power cables in the house also with certain products. If you are familar with a PLC then the and not afraid to pay a little extra, you will probably get an overall better, more reliable and satisfing result....

thats a very good observation sleepy, i'll try to visit some home automation website to get more inputs