Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speakerman

Newbie FAQ's

3 posts in this topic

Hey all! Reading the threads and seeing the general spectrum there is a real mix of topics raised from very simple to very complex. Is it possible for us to build a short list of helpers that a newbie like me could see pinned at the top of the posts, containing some of the common little things that some of us struggle with a little bit at first, and then don't remember later? I've got a bunch sizzling in my short term memory, and would be happy to share. Loved that "PLC Law" pinned thread, it's one of the first things I read here, and what actually convinced me to join. This applies to all PLC types, really. Love to see how it goes with Mitsubishi, if that's allowed Unless this has been done already, and I've missed the link. Cheers, speakerman Edited by speakerman

Nice idea. I remember some, but not all, of the problems I used to have with the old F series trying to handle the "new" 4-20mA signals that level sensors could produce. Having been launched into the 'modern' world of PLC's after coming from the days of analogue signals into BBC Micro and Commadore 64, the task was rather daunting... We didn't have sites like MrPLC. The support we received was "it can do it, we'll have to work out how!" It surprises me that how, after this attitude of representitives of Mitsubishi, PLC's ever took off! Every project was a "breakthrough in technology" to quote my rep.! OK. Those days are far behind us. Technology is moving forward rather more quickly than the best of programmers/designers can keep track of. There is always going to be something that overtakes us at some point. Yes, we will catch up, but what happens whilst we are 'catching up'? Another breakthrough! To this end, maybe the admistrators could build a 'difinitave' guide to PLC problems. But why? A search through previous posts should find the answers to most fundamental questions. If not, post a question and I'm sure it will be answered to the satisfaction of the OP. Best Regards Paul Ked

Hey Paul; Thinking about this I see your point. It's been a while since I posted this and have been way too busy to follow up myself. The impetus kinda faded when I got embroiled another project. Forgive my hypocrisy... One interesting hint for newbies like me: to find this post again, I did a search for the word "newbie" as the thread was not on the main page. The results of that search revealed a wealth of questions posted by first time users, and loads of awesome answers! If you are a newbie, search that word, and see all the tricks, hints and methods that others like yourself have stumbled upon, and then overcome. Cheers, speakerman