Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scada Tom

RSLogix Software on Ebay

5 posts in this topic

I've found a copy of RSLogix on ebay for about $200, its loaded on a USB drive with activation. Could the seller be making multiple copies of RSLogix for sale, or is each copy (serial number) linked to only one activation?

The following is from the ROCKWELL EULA that comes with Logix 5000. "This License does not grant You the right to provide or utilize the Software as an application service provider or the like. Any attempted sublicense, rental, sale, lease, transfer or commercial hosting of the Software is prohibited. If the Software requires a software activation process, such as FactoryTalk® Activation, You agree to follow this activation process as part of the license to You under this EULA. " I'd say run don't walk away from that retailer unless they can provide a permission to sell doxcument from RA.

Selling software licenses is a tricky business. Manufacturers want to keep customers from skirting their distribution chain. It is very easy to copy the license protection of Allen-Bradley products, but selling in anyway is a violation of the their license agreement with the original licensee. I would suggest that you reply to the eBay seller that what they are doing will get him/her in trouble. Eventually, Allen-Bradley will contact eBay and request the seller to cease this and future such auctions, with the added bounce that a future action will lead to their eBay account being revoked. I personally know many A-B distributor people who monitor eBay from time to time to track who is selling what. It is not uncommon for an electrician to swipe a few PLC cards from the storeroom and sell on eBay. Another note is that A-B typically requires software license numbers and the username/password of who the software was registered to in order for users to download updates or drivers. Some unlucky sap might buy the license and find out it is for a very old version that they cannot update. It is hard enough to download updates with a legit license, so doing and update with a resold license has got to be a difficult task. There is a reason why $1500 software is being sold for $200 on eBay...someone is going to get jacked. Don't let it be you. Edited by kaiser_will

Despite the presence of "sale" in the EULA's prohibitions, integrators resell runtime software and whole systems get transferred from OEMs to end users. Rockwell has a simple form to fill out to transfer the license from one registered user to another: http://www.software.rockwell.com/support/regtrns/ I figure this "report of sale" legally transfers the EULA to another party. The odds of you getting a legitimate license transfer sale off eBay are virtually zero. Consider these fine gentlemen: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=586300 Edited by Eddie Willers

Not all items on ebay are a scam or rip off, while in this case I would agree with run do not walk. I conduct several thousand dollars a month of business on and off of ebay, all items for sale are purchased with every attempt at legitimacy. While ebay is only a part of my business it is things like this that drive customers away from good quality parts and deals. It is not the norm for items like this, unfortunately they are the highlighted items. Please if you see listings like these report them for removal.