Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Moore

Weather proof quick disconnect, supplier needed

3 posts in this topic

I have two foam probes (RF admitance) that are located on vessel located in a tank farm. The probes must be cleaned once per week. The probes are powered by 120VAC and switch 120VAC via relay output. It takes longer to get the correct permits and such than it does to clean the probes. After the permits are issued, a tech has to unland the wiring and remove the flex before he can remove the probes. I plan to convert everything to 24VDC, to make the process easier, I would like to have a short pigtail on the probes and then some sort of screw together "quick disconnect". This way, we would not have to secure the power and unland the wires, just unscrew, pull apart the connection, remove probe, clean, reinsert, screw back together. I've tried googling,but I'm not getting what I think I want. Has anyone used something of this sort in the past? If so, can you provide a link? thanks, Ken Edit: Forgot to mention, each probe has 4 wires, two for power, and two for signal. I plan on using a 4 conductor 18ga. twisted, shielded cable (cable tray rated).

This sounds exactly like what you get with the 4-wire 24 VDC 12mm "micro connector" standard. Most of the connectors are IP67 or IP68. Sources: Grainger Various suppliers for Woodhead IFM Efector Turck Schneider/Square D (at least through their Hyde Park acquisition) ... Virtually every "sensor" company supplies them. There's also an AC version. Of the designs, there's a "1 tab", "1 tab reversed", and "2 tab" version, referring to the alignment tabs on the cables. There are 3, 4, and 5 pin versions, too. The pinouts are semi-interchangeable...it just changes the number of actual pins and sockets you have present. As to materials, you can get PUR, PVC, rubber (EPDM), and I've been able to locate TPE as well. I am installing 10 "target" type flow switches around a cupola. It will all be 24 VDC. The flow switches are known to work well but were set up for hard wiring. So I got 12mm "micro DC" connector from Grainger that has conduit threads to screw into the hole on the sensor. From there it goes to a patch cord which connects to a junction box (IFM Efector in this case). The junction boxes have indicator lights and "mini" connectors which consolidate the wiring to another patch cord which makes it's way to the junction box where the I/O is actually at. If I was doing DeviceNET, Profitbus, AS/I or some of the other bus designs the I/O blocks would actually be the I/O interface for the PLC and there'd be a direct conversion there instead of a separate I/O block. Woodhead calls this "active" vs. "passive" I/O blocks. AB's "armor" I/O series is similar in nature.

Thanks Paul. DC micro connector was the key. I did a search on that phrase and found what I needed.