Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Datman

Remote acess

16 posts in this topic

Hi Guys quick question, We have a client using a Micrologix 1100, it is connected to a PC via ethernet, with the PC running RSLinx single node. This is done primarily for a DDE interface with a VB application. We use VNC to access this computer remotely. Question is thus, I know if i had RSLogix500 on the clients computer we would be able to do updates to the PLC... BUT we do not. Am I able to somehow access the PLC with RSLogix500 on my computer given that the client computer has RSLinx and we can remotely connect to this computer... many thanks

Is your network connection to the remote computer over Ethernet, or something else like a phone line ? Generally if you're going to be on the same Ethernet network as the remote computer, the MicroLogix will be on that Ethernet network too, and you can go right to it from your workstation. If your connection to the remote computer is via a separate IP network than the MicroLogix is connected to, you will need to bridge between the two onboard the remote computer, or use the Windows XP "VPN" connection.

the connection is over a phone line, the computer we want to access is a few hours drive away hence the desire to try and do it remotely with the existing setup

Okay, so your dial-in connection probably takes place over the Windows network dial-in connection. Here's where my direct experience runs out. I think you can use Windows XP to bridge between the dial-in connection and your local Ethernet LAN (the connection to the MicroLogix 1100), but I am not familiar with the actual mechanics of that.

Try setting your lan TCP/IP to a unused address that is on the same subnet as the computer that you are connecting to. You may need to ask the customer for an address that you can use. After that just set up a RSLinx ethernet driver to see the 1100 processor address. If that doesn't work you could setup an AB 9300-RADES modem and send it to the customer to be connected directly to the customers ethernet. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to do that though. Try setting your lan TCP/IP to a unused address that is on the same subnet as the computer that you are connecting to. You may need to ask the customer for an address that you can use. After that just set up a RSLinx ethernet driver to see the 1100 processor address. If that doesn't work you could setup an AB 9300-RADES modem and send it to the customer to be connected directly to the customers ethernet. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to do that though. That was strange.

Try looking at this thread. I posted a procedure in it that might do what you want. It allows you to dial in to a PC and bridge to the PLC network through it. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=10291&hl=

well what makes is easier is that the PLC is on the same subnet as their main network so i shouldnt have any problems trying to bridge to it. i may try as finfin suggests and set my IP address to the same subnet and give it a go. from the information im seeing it looks very possible

ok no joy im in need of basic step by step instructions of how to get my rslogix500 to see the remote PLC.. It turns out that the access setup is thus: I connect to their server using smtp address in windows explorer ( effectively remote desktop???). I then use VNC to access the computer that is connected to the PLC from THEIR server. Both the PLC and remote PC are on the main network however. anyone got any links of something similar? everything ive found so far is just that much different that i cant quite get my head around it. I know sweet f.a. about networking in this fashion.

Their server should give you access to the PLC but you will have to set your LAN settings to the same subnet... and to make sure that you don't use an already used address, their IT dude needs to give you the address. They also may have to set up their server to allow you access to the PLC. Once this is done you should be able to ping the PLC. Then just set up a RSlinx driver on your computer to access the PLC. Throwing the PCAnywhere stuff into it may make it easier to connect at first, but I would bet it really slows down your throughput. The only reason to use PCAnywhere would be that you don't have the RS software on the computer that you are connecting with. Is that it? Edited by finfin

Ok ill try that thanks mate. The only problem i have is our network setup, if i change my subnet to the same as theirs then i loose my internet connection, but i should be able to get something sorted there fairly easily. thanks heaps for the help

Loosing our internet connection as well as our local server is a problem here also. We just try to make sure we have everything we need on our local Hard Drive before we make the remote connection. Such is life. Edited by finfin

You may consider to buy a 9300-RADES switch from AB. It's a modem and ethernet manage swith with several security level. http://www.rockwellautomation.com/services...odems/ethernet/ I install few one and it's work well, you will have acces with all device in your network (include PC, PLC & HMI).

I still dont have this working :( Im completely baffled. I dont quite understand how the network setup needs to be configured. I have a PC with RSLogix500. They have a network, with server which i can access using remote desktop. Their PLC is connected to this network. DO I simply connect to their network and then my PC will be automatically able to ping the PLC? Sorry, im just new to this and i cant find any info from AB on this type of setup

How do you connect to their server? Do you dial in to it?

I just log in via an smtp address in internet explorer, gives me remote access to their server. I guess im not actually connecting my PC to their network in any way..

and you've tried setting up an RSLinx driver and setting your LAN settings to be on their network... I'm not sure if that is a real connection to the network or not.. I'm afraid I can't help, friend. Sorry.