Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark W

Program Help

5 posts in this topic

I need some help with a question. We just installed a tunnel over that bakes bagels with a wing load. The oven is run by a Compact Logix L32E, RSLogix 5000, the wing loader is run by a Micro Logix 1100, RSLogix500, and tied together via CAT5 network to a PanelView. Both are controlled by the PanelView. My question is can you send or request data from the Compact Logix to the Micro Logix? What I need the programmer to do is copy data, Recipes, store in the L32E and I need to get some of the data to the 1100. Thank you for your help, Mark

Greetings Mark ... we need more details to say for sure ... but IF (big IF) the CompactLogix, and the MicroLogix, (and less importantly) the PanelView, are all on the same Ethernet network, then transferring “some” data from one component to another shouldn’t be too difficult ... usually an MSG (Message) instruction is all that’s required to do this ... but here’s a question that comes to mind ... why isn’t the logic that controls the wing loader being run by the CompactLogix - instead of by a separate MicroLogix? ... it’s hard to tell from what you’ve posted so far, but it seems that you have your eggs in TWO baskets (controllers) instead of just ONE ... I’m just wondering why ... but back to your question ... if all you want to do is transfer some data, that shouldn’t be too hard to do ... just as long as your controllers are actually networked together ...

The programmer will need manuals and it will be a piece of cake. . .at least the messaging part. Edited by OkiePC

This is a nightmare in the making. I have a similar setup in my plant. My predecessor added a Micrologix simply to avoid tying up the serial port. The end result is sort of like deal with someone who is bipolar. Just use MSG commands to pass data back and forth. But the reality is that you will save yourself a lot of trouble if you do one of two things. Either treat the Micrologix as nothing but a remote I/O card or get rid of it.

They are both on the same network. The CompatLogix is for the Oven and the MicroLogix runs the Wing Loader as an add on to the oven. I will have to ask the company who installed the oven and loader. Thank you for your help, now I tell the programer this is what I want it to do and know what I am talking about.