Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buckaroo

new computer

6 posts in this topic

Greetings all, The company I work for has finally decided to purchase a new laptop for programming and troubleshooting. I am looking for some recomendations for specs. I did a search here but the most recent I found was dated 2005. I am hoping for some more current info. I currently mostly use Logix 500, 5000, panelbuilder and a small handfull of other software. One of the most troublesome problems with the laptop in use now is that while online it seems to not update fast enough. It appears that I miss some changes in logic transitioning states. Is this something that can be addressed with a better/faster/newer laptop? Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If I had the choice I'd get a Dell XPS M1710 ... with Windows XP Pro+4GB of RAM. A wireless laser mouse. A Ethernet to serial converter like DIGIONE # 70001777 A wireless HUB. And a big coffe cup holder.

This problem exists even on a 3.0 GHZ Quad Core with 8 gigs of ram and an NVIDIA 8800 video card and I'll explain why. Your monitor has a refresh rate which is most likely 60, 75 or 90 hz. This means 16.6, 13.3 or 11.1 ms between screen updates.Compare this to your processor scan time. Next factor in that the human eye begins to blend when you exceed 8 frames per second or 125 ms refresh. And you understand why it is unrealistic to expect that you will catch every change of state displayed. One comment about your spec - AVOID VISTA for now if you plan to use RSLOGIX.

I understand that it is unrealistic to capture all state changes. I am not trying to imply that this is a major problem. Any suggestions to try to minimize their occurence? It was just something I thought I would try to address since we are purchasing a new laptop. Thanks

As Bob L. Foot mentioned, the update rate of the screen is not likely to be affected by the speed of the processor or the display, because refresh rates are fairly standard with new or old displays becuase the human eye can only process new information so quickly no matter what. The fairly obvious point I thought I would mention is that the baud rate that you are communicating to the processors you are monitoring and connectivity (cables, buses,etc.) are more important in seeing what you want to see. Just my 2% of $1.

ok point taken. so back to actual specs. any other suggestions? just curious what others think. thanks