Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robby

micrologix 1000

8 posts in this topic

I have a few micrologix 1000's that the company I work for threw out. Actually they blew a fuse inside the micrologix. They just throw them out. If you pop open the case there is a fuse that can be replaced. Any way, they threw a few out and I took them to an electronics tech I know who found the fuse inside and replaced them. Now, how can I program this darn thing. I tried the free software from AB, and I picked up a cable off ebay. It talks to the controller, says that it is the wrong version and it is not compatible with the free software. Are these things just paperweights to me, or is there anyway that I can get these things programmed? I would like to set them up with some hardware for a little plc learning center. I am only a bit familiar with plcs and would like to learn a bit more on my own time. It seems it is going to be a lost cause. Rob

What free software did you try? Please attach a file of the s/w. What are the model numbers of the MicroLogix 1000s? If you are interested in selling, how much are you asking? I am looking for one myself to have for testing.

Only the 10 point Micrologix 1000 PLC can be programmed with the free software. A licensed version of RSLogix500 is required to program all other models. You could try to sell them on e-bay (be sure to be upfront that they have been repaired so the buyer knows what he is getting. The ML1K is an inexpensive PLC to begin with so don't expect to get a lot for them. However, if you have enough of them to sell maybe you could earn enough to get RSLogix500 for the others. Or you might find someone to trade for a 10 point unit and then you could start practicing.

The logic programming software that includes the MicroLogix 1000 family is called "RSLogix 500 Starter". It's about a $560 software product, available from any Allen-Bradley distributor. Part number for the software is 9324-RL0100ENE.

I was hoping that it could communicate with some other software. From my research, it doesnt seem like it can be done with anything other than the rslogix. I didnt need the fancy rslogix anyway, something like the old AI for dos( i think that is what they called it.) would work for me. Like I said I didnt think any other software would program it, but I figured if anyone would know, they would be hanging out here. Thanks for your replies

I know for sure you can use A.I. software to program it, unless it is ancient. I'm pretty sure APS software would program it, too. And if you do decide to just scrap them, please let us know first. I'm sure several of us (myself included) would give you some $$ (or a like-value trade) for them. And you don't have to worry about buyer's remourse, we've all been told of the condition and none of us are foolish to install them on a mission-critical application! Edited by gravitar

Sorry for taking so long but, I just got the other one back from my tech buddy. It is a MicroLogix 1000 1761-L16BWA Series E FRN 1.0. I would really like to be able to use these myself. I am really interested in learning more than what I do. I can read logic a bit, change the code a bit, jumpers and stuff like that. But I need to learn more, kinda hardware and software. We occasionally have these units fail. I am not always there when they get swapped out, but I bet they are all having the same problem. It looses the 24vdc side of the unit. My tech buddy replaced a fuse in each unit. They look like a resistor or capacitor, not like a fuse. They power up and I am pretty sure they will operate ok. They drive some shower oscillators, and they may be taking a short some where. The shower drives live in some pretty nasty conditions, hot and wet. I think the hardware between the micro and the shower drive components should protect the micro unit, but something may be getting them. It doesnt really happen a lot, we operate 24/7 and may have changed 3 or 4 year to date. You mentioned A.I. software. Is that something that has to be bought from AB? We had the AI DOS on an old laptop at work and it crapped out. We only use the RSlogix now. I havent asked, but I am sure they(my plant) would not allow me a license for our RSlogix. What is the APS software, that might program them?

For about $100 you can get a unit that would serve as a trainer to work with. See link below: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=33740