Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PdL

Citect FINS Ethernet driver topic

6 posts in this topic

This is interesting news Nibroc, I wasn't aware of this. It has raised some questions for me so I thought I would start a dedicated topic. In previous projects I used CLK boards which always need FINS Gateway. Now I am doing a Citect project to communicate with 20 CJ1M on Ethernet, and I prepared to use FINS Gateway as well. I normally setup the I/O devices forms manually, but reading your post I used the express wizard to see how to configure using "direct" TCP/UDP. There were 2 selections available for Ethernet, although I could not tell any difference. And indeed, once configured, the boards form which normally selected FINS as board type is now set on TCPIP. The IP adress, port and comms method (TCP/UPD) is now specified at the "Special Opt" entry of the ports form. Apparantly using the format "-I[iP adress] -P[port no] -["T" for TCP or "U" for UDP]" Attached are some more options to be specified. Has anyone used the "direct" TCP setup already ? In the past there have been problems with auto re-connecting when using FINS Ethernet TCP with CX-Server, which has led me to use FIND Ethernet UDP with CX-Supervisor. In the mean time I believe this has been fixed. I know the difference between TCP and UDP, but in this case would you choose one over the other and why ? Anyone used the option to link to an external tag database ? It seems there is even a specific database type listed for Omron, "Omron PFM" , which lets you select either a CSV or DBF file. There must be a specific format to use with these files but I can find much more information on this. Lineup of my questions for easy quoting: Has anyone used the "direct" TCP setup already ? Anyone used the option to link to an external tag database ? I know the difference between TCP and UDP, but in this case would you choose one over the other and why ? Any other general suggestions or comments ? TCPIP_driver_special_options_reference.pdf

Hi PdL, I have used the Citect OMFINS driver many times. I few quick points and quirks to be aware of: Driver has been around since early V5 releases. Be warned however, I have found many bugs over the years in various driver releases. These range from not being able to read HRs (currently doesn't read HRs correctly) to major packet sequencing issues resulting in incorrect data on Citect (worse still if you write a value to a PLC from Citect you could also inadvertantly write to the wrong area!!). Contact CI Support and get the latest OMFINS driver which should be V2.4.9.2 (or higher). This had not been released to the driver web last time I checked but we have been using it for close to 12 months. Forget TCP - the driver only has UDP implemented. Just specify the IP address and Port # in special options. Not sure why you get 2 x V2 Ethernet driver selections - I only get 1 in V6.1 SPA. Haven't tried external database linking. Specify "0/NNN/0/S" in I/O device address field where NNN = last byte of IP address of PLC. Actually this field is a little more complicated. However if you make your PLC ETN card FINS node # the same as the ETN IP address last byte (and this is < 127 (or is it 128??)) AND you use a 255.255.255.x network (class C??) then you'll be fine. Current driver has following issues that I know of - bug in reading/writing HRs, can't specify EMs, can't use same UDP Port #. Sounds a bit worse than what it really is. Don't need to fiddle with OMFINS .INI parameters - works fine as default. Let me know how you go. Adeo

Hi Adeo, thanks for your reply HR area words when using C series still not possible only on bit level with the FINS driver as well.

PdL, Nope... don't need Fins Gateway - OMFINS is native to Citect and is a direct communication driver without the need for 3rd party software. Adeo

Well thanks for clearing that up, think I will just have to get going with this

Hi adeo. How I can read and write to correct HR? I'm using OMFINS_2.04.09.002 Thanks, Melin