Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcalidl

Strings between SLC 5/05 and Cognex 3400 via Ethernet

2 posts in this topic

I am currently specing a project. I have been give some guidelines from the customer and I am wondering if this is even possible. Currently a Cognex 3400 and SLC 5/05 are specified. I will be receiving a string (a serial number with both letters and numbers) via another SLC 5/05 over ethernet. I am to use the Cognex 3400 to verify the string I have received vs. the string I will receive from the camera. They want to communicate from the Cognex to the SLC 5/05 over ethernet. My question is will I be able to get this string via ethernet or will this have to be done serially? If this is possible please put me on the right track of how to do this. I am asking this because it seems all ASCII instructions are set up to read only from the serial port. Basically, All I am wondering is how to get the string out of the Cognex into the SLC via Ethernet for a comparison of a string I will receive from another SLC.

You can do this if the cognex 3400 can be configured to speak the Allen Bradley flavor of ethernet {I beleive it's called CIP} but on this note I'll let the more experienced flesh out the details.