Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colin Carpenter

E700 Network?

3 posts in this topic

Is anyone an expert on networking E700 HMIs? I have an FX2n that is happily talking to a E700 through the RS422/485 port. The HMI is local to the PLC, and the customer wants the operators to be able to view the information on another E700 in the remote control room, but to have to walk to the plant to actually initiate things. I propose to fit an ethernet adapter to both E700s and set up a BDPT Server / Client network using a crossover cable between the two, with the existing E700 being the server and the Control Room E700 being the client. I know how to configure each E700 with regards to setting up the TCP/IP addresses and configuring them as server and client, and I know how to define the addresses in the client (1>D200 etc.) The only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not the client E700 can access all the data registers in the FX2N that the server E700 can access without writing any new code into the PLC. For example, if the server is accessing D200 in the PLC, can the client access 1>D200 as well? The reason I ask is that the Beijers manual goes into great depth about things called "Data Registers" and "Control Blocks" in the BDTP client page, but I'm fairly sure that that only comes into effect if you have multiple server /client scenarios, when I know that you have to write some PLC code to handle the comms of the various clients and servers that are waiting their turn to talk. In this very simple case (one server, one client), I don't think it's that complex ....... hopefully.

Yep, just like that. Maybe the server terminal may slover down a bit. As I recall, you do not need to type anything to PLC, depends of course you E700 program. Maybe you are reading the current page... There may be some limitations if you are using index register in message bank...

Thanks for that ... I'm pretty sure that's the way it is as well.