Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pete3589

Indirect Addressing Revisited

2 posts in this topic

I am also having a similar issue with Indirect addressing as described in this thread: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=11766 Unfortunately, I come from an AB background and am very used to using imbedded variables (i.e. AnalogInput[x].Value) to perform many of my tasks. I need to move 3 tags from my AnalogInputs[x] array (there are 96 elements) to TaglistData[x] array but only if AnalogInputs[x].OnOff is on. I am pretty good with ladder logic, but I really don't understand STL language that well yet. In RSLogix 5000, the code would look something like this (in text) y=0 For x = 0 to 96 IF AnalogInputs[x].OnOff then TaglistData[y].Value =: AnalogInputs[x].Value .... .... y = y+1 end if end for; I have my arrays created in DB blocks. I am guessing I need to use the memory location in the DB for the first BOOL in question and then simply add the offset to the next BOOL and continue looping this until I check all of the available values I need. Or an easier way would be if I can use imbedded tags like in the above example, but I don't think Siemens has this capability. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi pete. The code you posted is made with IEC61131-3 ST (Structured Text). The language called SCL on the STEP7 platform just happens to be the same as IEC61131-3 ST as well. You can thus port your code seamlessly between these two platforms. If you dont have STEP7 SCL already, then I recommend that you either purchase the SCL option, or maybe better upgrade STEP7 BASIS to STEP7 PRO. The latter contains S7-PLCSIM, S7-GRAPH and S7-SCL. What you want to do is still possible with STL, but SCL is a factor 100 more productive than STL when programming such things as indirect addressing and array manipulation.