Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DefelRadar

90-70 to RX3i Genius communication

8 posts in this topic

I've got a bit of a problem trying to add an RX3i to a Genuis bus network. The Genuis bus controller is based in an 90-70 using the old logicmaster software. I am trying to send data from the 90-70 into the R%01000 register range on the RX3i using a COMMREQ block. The problem with that is the old logicmaster program only has options to select a 90-70, 90-70 advanced, 90-30 and 90-30 advanced. Of course I tried every option and none of those were putting the data in the R%01000 address range on the RX3i. Has anyone else ran into this scenerio. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Aaron

How old is your version of Logicmaster 90-70? Did you try the "GENI-BASED" or "GENERIC I/O" choices in the 90-70 Bus Controller configuration? Do the Genius bus configurations in both the 90-70 and the Rx3i PLCs match?

Steve, I have a copy of the Logicmaster program (ladder logic) that is being used and it says GE FANUC SERIES 90-70 (v7.02). So I'm assuming its v7.02 of Logicmaster. I do not believe the "GENI-BASED" or "GENERIC I/O" choices in the 90-70 Bus Controller was tried (I was on the other end of the plant with the RX3i with someone else trying to send the COMMREQ from the 90-70. I believe the Genius bus configurations do match (as far as the Serial Bus Address being available on the bus and the Data Rate matches up at 153.6) but other than that I'm a novice at Genuis bus. I'll try and get an answer on the "GENI-BASED" and "GENERIC I/O" choices on the 90-70 bus controller tomorrow. Thanks for all your help thus far. Aaron

You might not need COMREQ instructions in the 90-70. You can configure the 90-70 bus controller and the RX3i bus controller to send up to 64 words of global data. You can also configure them to receive up to 64 words of global data from any device on the bus that can transmit global. Let's say the bus controller in the Rx3i is given Genius Bus address 21 and you want it to transmit 20 words of global data. Also assume the 90-70 bus controller is Genius Bus address 31 and it transmits 20 words of global dat. In the Logicmaster 90-70 configuration for the GBC, zoom into SBA 31 (the 90-70 bus controller) and under "Send Global Data" "Config Mode", select "Manual", under "From Addr", select the starting address of the 20 words of global data, and under "Data Length" enter 20. This defines the 20 words of global data that the 90-70 bus controller will transmit. Now zoom into the GENI-BASED device at SBA 21 (the Rx3i bus controller). Under "Receive Global Data" "Config Mode", select "Manual", under "To" enter an address in the 90-70 where you want to store the global data transmitted by device 21, and under "Input Length" enter 20. In hardware configuration for the Rx3i project you need to do the same things for that bus controller. You have to configure the Rx3i bus controller as SBA 21 and you have to configure a 90-70 bus controller as SBA 31. Under the "Receive Global Data" tab for the 90-70 bus controller, you enter the RX3i address where you want to store the global data you receive from the 90-70 as well as the length of the data. Under the "Global Data" tab for the Rx3i bus controller you enter the Rx3i address and length of the data you want to send from the Rx3i to the 90-70. I know it sounds complicated, but it's a lot easier to set up global data than it is to set up a COMREQ to send a datagram.

Thanks Steve, that acutally makes alot of sense the only thing I am worried about is the 90-70 also communicates via COMMREQ to another 90-70 and a few other series6 PLCs (That's why we were trying COMMREQs in order to keep same communication styles). Would what you suggested affect the communications between the other PLCs? Also does the Rx3i bus controller have to be set up as SBA 21 or will any open SBA address work? Thanks again for all your assistance I'm getting a clearer picture than what I received from tech support!

Are the existing PLCs communicating with each other over the Genius bus or are they using a serial connection? If serial, then what I suggested shouldn't have any impact whatsoever. If Genius, I'm not sure why they are using COMREQ instructions instead of global data. It might have something to do with the Series Six PLCs. It's been a while since I've done any work with a Series Six/Genius system, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. As far as the SBA for the Rx3i, any available SBA will do. As a general rule, don't use SBA 0 or SBA 31 for an application like this. SBA zero is generally reserved for the Genius handheld and SBA 31 is usually reserved for the bus controller that controls any outputs on the bus.

They are using the Genius bus for communications. I'll do a little digging to see why they are using COMREQs. I have some logic from the program that I'll paste into here to show you exactly how they are doing it/attempted to pass data to the RX3i. << RUNG 31 >> | | +-----------------+ +--------------------+ EQ_ +- | | INT | | | | +------------+ +-----+ | PCKT#4 -+I1 Q +------------------+MOVE_+-------------------------------+MOVE_+---------------------<+> | | | | INT | | INT | | | | | | | | | CONST -+I2 | %R08756-+IN Q+-%R06069 MOD_HRT-+IN Q+-%R06079 | +00004 +----------------+ | LEN | | LEN | | |00023 | |00001 | | +-----------+ +------------+ | Program: LANTEST C:\LM90\LANTEST Block: _MAIN 05-01-07 15:52 GE FANUC SERIES 90-70 (v7.02) Page 12 | << RUNG 32 >> | | +-----------+ +<+>-------------+COMM_+- | | REQ | | | | | %R06050-+IN FT +- | | | | CONST -+SYSID | | 0002 | | | | | | CONST -+TASK | | 00000001 +------------+ | I don't know if any of this will help jog your memory or not.

I sent you a private message with my email address. Why don't you just make a backup of your Logicmaster folder and email it to me. I need to be able to see what values are in all of the registers involved starting at %R6050 to be able to decipher what it's doing.