Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joe7514

2 different SLC 5/05'S

3 posts in this topic

I have had a company to built several control panels for different processes. The last one he built had a SLC 5/05, and I noticed on the drawings that the IP Address he used is the same as a 5/05 that he supplied to us over a year ago. I thought it may have been a drawing error, so I checked the controller properties and they do indeed have the same IP Address. Could this cause any problems later on? If so what could happen?

It will definately cause problems if these machines are ever hooked into the same network and should be changed. Chances are the later machine drawing and program were based off of the earlier version. They used the originals and only did some minor tweaking, which did not include giving it a unique IP Address.

I work for an OEM and we build machines which utilize Ethernet. Unless the customer specifically asks us, we use standard IPs. We supply this information on the schematics. If the customer wishes to integrate the IPs for the machinery into a plantwide scheme then they are free to do so. Otherwise, if it operates as stand-alone machinery then having the same IPs doesn't hurt anything.