Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulengr

High voltage, low amps, or low voltage, high amps

4 posts in this topic

Which one is more efficient for an HID lighting scenario? (in other words, electrical cost)? 208VAC, 240VAC, or 277VAC? Is this purely a case of I^2® or is there an issue with the higher voltages and arc physics? I^2® is important for wiring and matters in electric motors but I'm unsure in this case because corona leakage would be voltage related and not sure about how arcs perform with respect to higher voltages. Is there any difference between a magnetic and an electronic ballast? Keep in mind this is a total cost of ownership case too so if for instance running the same bulb at higher voltage results in a shorter lifespan, that could shift the economics, too.

At my facility we use 277. Why you ask, well because we can eliminate the need for step down transformers. The cost of the transformers, and the loss of valuable real estate in our electrical rooms it the driving force. We've never actually looked at efficency of one voltage versus another.

We use 277 as well. You can save on the transformer efficiency.

277 where I'm at as well. A couple years ago we looked into converting the factory to flouresent. I can't remember the model of the bulb, but if interested I can investigate. We figured the outlay for relamping the facility would pay for itself in ~18 months. There would also be much less heat load on the building as well. One of the models we are sampling has a switching transformer (balast??). It will operate on either 277 or 110. I have been hoping these would come down and I would get a pass . One other nice feture was that the light put out about the same lumens but the light seemed brighter. I can't remember if it was because of the wave, cycles, color spectrum, etc. If interested I can probably get a couple of company names and contacts. BLI was one: http://www.budgetlighting.com/store/agora.cgi And this is one of the fixtures hanging on the floor: http://www.budgetlighting.com/fluorescent_...ting/index.html Luke