Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gravitar

Internet Explorer 7 Warning (?)

5 posts in this topic

Just wondering if any of you have had problems with your A-B/RSI software after installing IE 7. A guy here installed it, and after that he could no longer use panelbuilder! He called RSI tech support and they said there were conflicts between IE7 and rockwell software, so it should be uninstalled. Here's the catch though.. Apparently you CANNOT uninstall IE7! I haven't confirmed any of this myself, so I don't want to spread panic. But I just thought I'd mention it so that anyone thinking about instaling the "latest" version of internet explorer would research it and use caution!

Uninstalling IE7 can be done if you're still using Windows XP. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177 Just don't go to Windows Vista. A-B probably won't support that for another year or so.

One of the guys here has been using IE7 for some time and has had no conflicts with any AB or RSI software. The tech support guys may be a little quick to jump on the band wagon if they are told that " I just installed IE7 and now my software is acting up". It could also be something else in IE7 that was different in our installation. I'll be watching this one though. These things are frustrating.

I had issues with IE7. I couldn't uninstall it but system restore did the trick to get me back to 6.3. It was not really an issue because I use Firefox for my browser and IE7s features are a rip off of features Firefox has had for a long time.

It depends on your software. RSLinx and the RSLogix 5/500/5000 generally don't have a problem. I would watch the HMI's especially RSView SE, SE is still only supporting .NET 1.1, runs IIS, etc... and IE7 could easily kill that. I also haven't had a problem with the latest Linx and Logix running on Vista personally. I have had problems with the HMIs. There is supposed to be a fall release for the rest of their software from what I hear, and I would suspect that support for IE7 and Vista might start happening. I hear that not until next year (2008) will they fully support Vista though. Which isn't that bad, better then a lot of the software companies out there. You can still get copies of XP, and Dell's haven't stopped selling XP either. . . not enough people, especially companies are moving over to Vista yet, so I would just stick with the masses and hold back of IE7 and Vista.