Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tariks66

convert 95 U pc-plc cable to be used AS 511 pc-plc cable

7 posts in this topic

hi friends pls can you help me to convert my pc-plc cable used with PLC 95U ,so that can be used with As511

Hi tariks66. AS511 is actually the commonly used protocol with all S5 PLCs when you connect to the programming port. So your cable can very well be OK already. What is important is that the programming port normally used TTY (aka current loop) as the signal level. Exactly what cable do you have ? Notice that for older Siemens PG with an onboard TTY port, there is no need to have TTY converter in the cable. So you cant use the cable from an old PG on a normal PC. There is also a serial cable with a RS232/TTY converter. You cannot mistake this cable for the other because there is a prominent black box in the middle of the cable.

HI JesperMP thank you for your response ,I bought a cable that used to connect personal computer (RS232) port to D type connector in PLC 95U,this cable contain electronic box used to interface and match signals . as you say AS 511 work in current loop technology and my cable does not work in current loop(PLC95U interface connector dose not work in current loop). please advice

I have used the RS232/TTY converter from Siemens with an 95U and it worked OK. TTY is used almost universally with the old S5 range. Are you saying that you have bought the cable, but it does not work ? How does that manifest itself ? Are you trying to use STEP5 with the cable ?

hi again I bought a cable to use it with S5 software to monitor PLC 95U, i am asking is it possible to connect external interface to the cable so that i can use this cable with AS511. thank you.

Hi tarik. Yes. In theory any device with a serial RS232 port can use the cable to attach to an S5 PLC. You will have to get the device to use the AS511 protocol. There are comercially available drivers and OPC servers for AS511.