Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuttsNutts

InTouch Ver 9.5 Tag

8 posts in this topic

Hiyo, this deleting of tags malarkey... does anyone know how to manipulate the dumped CSV file such that a whole list of tags can de deleted rather than going through the laborious process of Special--> Delete Unused Tags because afterall, this can only delete unused tags. Just wondering if anyone had a shortcut to this? Thanks, TC

Why are you wanting to delete USED tags? You really need to find where those tags are used and remove their references before you delete them...

This is true. I think I failed to clarify what I was trying to do. The tag database was a bit of a mess with addresses (from Omron PLC) imported with mistakes such as discrete I/O addresses being 370.1 and 370 (whereas they should have been 370.10 and 370.00) because the tag database was imported from Excel and the address column wasn't formatted as number. So, all I had to do was export the CX Programmer tags again, formate them properly and import just the Discrete I/O points using ":mode=REPLACE" and this has overwritten the InTouch tags in the database with the correct addresses. However, I then had a list of tags which were unused, and a list of tags which were used (but had incorrect symbols - for example "KPV504200_EN" instead of "KPV504200EN"). I'd love a quick method of wiping the entire list of tags and starting again but I can see why this is not possible as all the 100 or so graphics screens are tied into these tags... what would they reference if the tag database was empty? So, I just had to manually delete the unused tags, export the tag database into Excel, filter and sort for duplicates similar to the example listed above, make whatever changes necessary, re-import and fix up any remaining tag issues. Feckin' took days. <Boo Hiss!> I suppose it's not too bad really once you get to grips with the constraints of InTouch - by and large, it works well... or at least this aspect of it does anyhow.

If your application is not too complex, you can always create a new one, import the new tags that you fix, then import all the screens and scripts. Once you import the screens and scripts, you will have to remove all the tag placeholders. I think there's a utiltiy that will do that globally for you but I've not tried it. Another thing to watch out for is the screen navigations buttons may not point to the correct screen unless you scripted the navigation.

This is true. But with over 100 screens and stuff it seems like a horrendous choice with the possibility of adding more errors. The main problem I had was with the conversion of Wizcon tags to InTouch tags. Luckily, InTouch 9.5 supports writing to Omron PLC DM area such as D1000.04 - previously (unless I am mistaken), DM areas could only be written to as entire words. I just had to delete all unused tags manually (except for ones I knew would be used by scrips indirectly) and re-import the fixed up tags by simply using :mode=REPLACE where the addresses needed fixing (export PLC tags into Excel, format the addresses as numbers and export to .csv file). The tags that were named incorrectly had to be edited in the InTouch database one at a time unfortunately because I could not delete them and then recreate the tags again but with the corrected name. Ah well, I guess it's just one of those horrid applications I've inherited that I just have to stick with and use the many different ways of getting it fixed. <sigh> I knew I should have been a bricklayer or something.

You should be able to edit the tags offline in Excel (or notepad or OpenOffice or... After all, it's just a text file...) , then reimport them. When you reimport, it'll ask what you want to do on a collision -- whether you want to keep the old data or overwrite with new. Select to overwrite...

If you're after deleting unused tags, the excel way will not work and you are right in that you will have to change each tag manually if it's used in the scripts/screens. I've used the method I described with great success. The problem I described will not be a problem if you reimport the entire project..screens, scripts, etc. I figure a app with 100 screens can be done in 20-30 minutes top. But stick with the long way if you are uncomfortable.

Thanks. Excel is a bummer in that addresses such as 10.00 defualt to 10 (unformatted text) when opened up from a .csv file. I'm familiar with it now (having suffered this forehead-slapping "Doh!" situation enough times) but sometimes I guess it's time to roll up the sleeves and get stuck in for a long day of it.