Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waterboy

OPC crashes Controllogix?

13 posts in this topic

I am configuring a win2003 server (our first) and I'm using OPC to try to communicate with it. I don't get any data yet but the oddest part is I can actually fault the contrologix processor with fault 60 in only a few minutes. And to make it even better, the entire program is then gone from the proc and the clock is reset to 1989. I just getting familiar with CLX but my boss says that shouldn't happen. I tend to agree. Anyone seen this before?

Um, yeah, that shouldn't happen. Describe where you're getting the "fault 60" error code. Which model and revision of controller, and what kind of network interface ? Is this RSLinx Classic OPC or another vendor's OPC server ?

Keeping in mind that OPC is the data transfer layer between the OPC Server and OPC Client no communications server should cause the PLC to crash. Who makes the OPC server that you are using.

This is using RSLinx Gateway v2.50.00.20, It is the OPC server (I'm still getting client and server swapped around so forgive me if I do that) The controller is model 5561 Revision 15.3 (1756-L61) and it is using Ethernet. The fault is from the CLX processor itself and is "Fault 60 Type 1 Power up fault, nonrecoverable". It is repeatable. Every time I use the OPC powertool (on this machine only), I fault the proc the same way . Obviously I need to address the machine problem but the fact that it can fault a PLC is what really has my attention. A call from GE Fanuc (maker of the OPC powertool) says that it is possible that since RSLinx Gateway is the ONLY thing actually talking to the processor , it must be the culprit and even somethign like the licensing token could be suspect. I have even looked at DCOM and set all the permissions even though this is in the same workgroup and subnet and DCOM shouldn't apply. yep grabbing at straws!

I had a project using a Dell server 2003, compactlogix and RSView32. The OPC was (I think) from software toolkit? The longer the system ran, the more OPC tags would vanish. Nothing would fault out, but the RSView devices would start being greyed out on the screen. If the end user re-boots the computer once a week, everything functions normally. The person who did the RSView program, said he looked into it and AB didn't support the Server 2003, at least at that time. You may want to see if the AB supports the server class windows?

I presume the controller doesn't crash when you're not running the OPC Client, right ? Do you have an idea of how much data the "PowerTool" is reading and writing from the controller ? It would be instructive to use the Logix 5000 Task Monitor to have a look at CPU utilization before and during the operation of the PowerTool. Are you using a CompactFlash memory card in this controller ? Fault 1 Code 60 is a general fault indicating that the controller powered up with a corrupt user program and is running with an empty user program. RSLinx 2.50 is definitely supported in Windows XPSP2 and in Windows 2003 Server and Server SP1. I wouldn't be shocked if it was the OPC Server or OPC Client application failing; there are a zillion DCOM-related reasons for that to not work. But faulting the controller is really weird. Is the controller running an application that fills most of the user memory ? The OPC Client could be requesting a really large optimized data packet and that might be running over the memory capacity of the controller. That's conceivable, but I haven't seen it.

You should also take this up directly with RA Tech Support, since it's not a common or easy-to-fix problem. They can supply you a Memory Dump utility that can use the serial port to extract a firmware dump's diagnostic data. If there is a CF card installed, the controller also writes firmware dump diagnostic data to the card. The current release firmware for 1756-L6x controllers with RSLogix 5000 v15 is version 15.04; you might want to load that release.

Gave me a start for a moment, but this was in the help file. To run RSLinx Classic, you require Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 (or later), and one of the following operating systems: Microsoft Windows XP, XP SP1, and XP SP2. [*]Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP1. although this is 2003 R2 I wouldn't think that 2003 is the current problem. But thanks for the heart attack. Edited by waterboy

Have you tried using the RsLinx OPC test client that comes bundled with RsLinx instead of the OPC Powertool??

The processor has been running for a couple years in a very light development environment. It has a couple production tasks that it does regularly and flawlessly up until I started messing with it in the last week. I only look at one tag over OPC powertool on the machine just to prove the concept. I have another machine that I can use OPC to look anything I want to on this processor , in fact its running now. Just the one installation does this. I started a ticket with RA as well. DCOM only becomes important across domains right? in a workgroup or single domain it isn't involved. But like you say, it shouldn't crash the proc in any case. and yes this has compactflash memory card slot but no card in it Edited by waterboy

It doesn't sound like you have a DCOM problem. DCOM (and OPC) are only between the OPC Server and the OPC Client. Your faulting of the device is an issue with how the OPC Server is handling the hardware. The OPC Server should only communicate with the device when an OPC Client is connected to it, so if it's happening when your OPC Client is connected, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's at fault. If you wanted to test by substitution: Free OPC Client download: http://matrikonopc.com/downloads/176/index.aspx Substitute OPC Explorer for your OPC Client, connect, add a tag, and see if the problem persists. OPC Server for ControlLogix: http://matrikonopc.com/opc-drivers/1569/index.aspx Substitute MatrikonOPC's OPC Server for ControlLogix, see if the problem persists.

When I am troubleshooting OPC clients, I default to the Rockwell Software "OPC Quick Client" that is automatically installed along with RSLinx. If the Quick Client works, then any other OPC client can work too. In this case I suspect that the PowerTool is making an unusual request of RSLinx that is causing a malfunction in the controller. It's either that the PowerTool is requesting something that RSLinx shouldn't do, or RSLinx is carrying out the request incorrectly. You could try taking the same tags you're reading and writing with the PowerTool and read/write them with the OPC Quick Client, to see if the same effect is seen in the Logix. It's weird, definitely. Many tens of thousands of Logix controllers run with OPC clients and do not have the same problem.

I'm glad it's wierd. I really am. I would hate to think that this kind of action was EASY to do. And this being my first foray into OPC makes it all the more entertaining. I'll be poking at it again next week. We set up another CLX for me to crash and burn to my hearts content. Now if the new one doesn't do it. . . . Edited by waterboy