Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mr_electrician

wire management

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone has experience with wiring conveyors. This may sound simple but there is a catch to it! The conveyors at work are in sections to form a long spine conveyor. Right now the conveyors are wired using emt runs straped to the drip pan located under the belts. I want to re due this for 2 reasons. Reason 1 is probably the most important reason, we are starting to have belts/chains on the conveyor that are ready to self destruct. We need to be able to remove the conveyor out of place. This of course will involve pulling wire from out of the conduit and removing conduit runs. This will also create downtime! Reason 2 is because I am going to remove the programmable relay set up, and install a plc.(If they finally break down and see that this is the way to go now!) So for those automation designers, what would you do to wire up such a conveyor system that has 600V motors at .9A, and a bunch of 24VDC controls? (mostly photo eyes)

looked at this a few times if you can run overhead, fit 3ph busbar or cabling from a main contactor then for each conveyor come off bus through an isolator with auxillary switch (wire this through contactor coil ciruit), to contactor (controlled via your favourite bus system Devicenet etc) then to a 3 phase socket trailing lead from motor with 3 phase plug. All photocells Devicenet style so can be plugged in. Then provided you have written the program correctly your average mech crafts person can come along with out electrical assistance and simply lock off the power at the isolator unplug the conveyor photocell and do the busisness

Sounds like a perfect example of a mechanical problem becoming an electrical problem. If the conveyors are on an elevated platform you could run under conduit or tray under the platform. Or trench the floor out ($$$). Maybe the solution is for the mechanics to fix their equipment better. Electrical guys already do most of the troubleshooting and then go get the mechanic or fitter and have to prove to them it's their problem. Sorry to sound so cynical, but after awhile it gets old.

If there were a www.MrMillwright.com or a www.MrPipefitter.com, I wonder what they would say about us :)