Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glennlee

SLC 5/03 minor errors

6 posts in this topic

Hi All. I have dealt with minor errors caused by counter over-runs and the like. I have a new one that I haven't found yet, but I will. My question is: When I was doing RS5000 programs, I had an area that the PLC would execute at start up to clear errors. I also had the ability to create an error-handling routine for run-time errors. I will research this some more on my own, but does RsLogix 500 allow me to build error routines? Does anyone have an example? I see in the Processor Status that S:29 refers to a "Fault Routine" Where do I put it and what do I need to include? Thanks in advance. Glenn

glennlee I see in the Processor Status that S:29 refers to a "Fault Routine" Where do I put it and what do I need to include? From RS500 Help: Fault Routine S:29 You enter a program file number (3-255) to be used in all recoverable and non-recoverable major errors. Program the ladder logic of your fault routine in the file you specify. Write a 0 value to disable the routine. RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001, 2002 And: Startup Protection Fault S:1/9 When this bit is set and power is cycled while the controller is in the REM Run mode, the controller executes the user fault routine prior to the execution of the first scan of your program. RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001, 2002 And: Fault Override at Powerup S:1/8 When set, this bit causes the controller to clear the Major Error Halted bit S:1/13 and Minor error bits S:5/0 to S:5/7 on power up if the processor had previously been in the REM Run mode and had faulted. The controller than attempts to enter the REM Run mode. Set this bit offline only. RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001, 2002 And: Fault/Powerdown (Rung #) S:20 - (File #) S:21 This is the word and file that the processor last executed before a major error or powerdown occurred. RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001, 2002 Sorry, I have never used these bits and do not have an example. BD

Thanks Bikerdude.I'll keep your reply as a reference. Hopefully someone else has other information too. I'll keep looking... Glenn

Greetings Glenn ... I’ve attached a little sample program which contains quite a few of the “big picture” ideas involved in setting up a “fault handler” routine in an SLC system ... this is just pretty much just a “stripped down” version of a student assignment that I use in some of my programming-type classes ... I used quite a bit of cutting-and-pasting to pull this little "forum version" together - so if you run into a typo here and there just do the best you can ... sorry that I don’t have time to nail down all of the details right now - but if you’ve still got questions after you’ve read through all of the rung comments, etc. please feel free to post again ... I’ll be glad to try to answer anything specific that might have you confused ... and one more thing ... if the “minor errors” that you’re running into involve the “math overflow” bit S:5/0, then the information in this thread might be useful ... in fact, the “fault handler” might be a case of overkill if bit S:5/0 is your only problem ... be sure to read the whole thread - there’s quite a bit in there ... including how to set up a series of “trap bits” to nail down the specific rung which is causing the problem ... good luck with your project ... MY_FAULT.pdf MY_FAULT.RSS Edited by Ron Beaufort

Thank you Ron. I used the information from your post and other information I gleaned from other areas to cobble together the beginnings of a fault routine. In the meantime, I have added traps at the end of each file to set a bit if the S:5/0 bit goes ON, then clear the S:5/0 bit. So far, I haven't seen a fault. I also combed through the files for all math routines and added conditions to the qualifying lines. There were fortunately only a few possible rungs that I hadn't already conditioned. Since it looks as if I am going to be dealing with A-B from now on, I'll have to develop better programming techniques and be more aware of where faults can arise. This will make me more aware of programs I develop for other PLCs as well. Thanks again Ron. Regards, Glenn

We're experiancing a similar trouble where I work. I don't know the fault code anymore, but it was a bit vague -something to do with a bad card. The guys have gotten into the habit of simply "keying" the switch to reset the processesor. This is on a line that has run for ~8 years with little to no issues with a relatively simple program. It will fault 2-3 times durring a shift and then not come back for awhile. There is a D-net card in the rack that is not being used -it could be the culprit. Anyway I searched the forums and came across this one as a "good fit" for what would work for us. Ron, I tried a bit of the logic from your example. I did not put anything in to shut the files off, but simply put the unlatch at the end of the first rung. I do have a 5/04 @ home that I did try your full example on. It does fault out the processor quite nicley. I was only able to get it to shut file 3 down twice after several atempts. What am I missing in the example? The 2 times that it did work, it worked per the comments in leaving a nice "trail to follow". I tried downloading your example over at PLCs.net but am having no luck getting registered (I have tried several times in the past with no success). Any help on this "home project" would be apreciated. Luke