Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skiv71

RSlinx PIC Driver

7 posts in this topic

Hi, Has anyone had any luck using the PIC driver (abpicw2k.sys) with a pcmcia serial card. Usually, loading the PIC driver, replaces the stanard sernum.sys microsoft driver. Reason i ask, it seems laptops rarely feature serial ports and i got myself a pcmcia serial card which has a standard 550 chip in it. When you try and load the PIC driver, it complains, it fails to swap in. Does anyone have the knowledge to either hack the ini or driver as required, so it can work? thanks neil

See this: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.ph...C+Driver+PCMCIA

If the guy that claimed to successfully use a PCMCIA card to connect with a 1747-PIC is to be believed, then this is a pretty significant development. I wonder if the Quatech card is the only one that will work? It's too bad they're so pricey.. I would like to get one just to see if it really works! I also noticed that Quatech sells PCMCIA RS485 cards... I wonder if one of those could be made to work WITHOUT a PIC? Yeah, I know that's really pushing it.. :)

Why you are trying to get to work an outdated PIC with expensive PCMCIA cards if you can get 1747-UIC for less money?

yes definitely give me the UIC and a standard CAT 5 patch cable any day can't see the UIC cables giving the same problems as those pesky ribbon cables on the PIC

Agreed, with the price charged for that particular model of card, it wouldn't make sense. If however there would be a way of using an el-cheapo PCMCIA interface with the PIC, it might be worth looking into.

Even you can get PIC driver to recognize PCMCIA port, most likely PIC will not function because of very simple issue: PCMCIA card can't provide sufficient power for PIC PIC has RS232 and RS485 sides separated by optocoupler. RS232 side uses power from PC's serial port like serial mouse does. When PIC was developed 20+ years ago PC ports had much more power and used higher voltages for RS232 signals. Non-isolated PIC replacements sold by this site use power from PLC and will not be affected by this issue.