Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nileshsurya

EEPROM burn from HMI/SCADA

9 posts in this topic

hi thr all plc ppl i am very curious to ask one question which seems stupid at first the question is can a program which is currently residing in the PLC RAM be written into the EEPROM module of the same without using RSLOGIX software can i use a HMI such as PANELVIEW or SCADA RSView32 to perform this function is there any such method to accomplish this waiting desperately for answer is it possible,it will solve many problems Thanx in advance Regards NileshSURYA

This is actually very ironic. One of the lowliest displays AB has, the 1747-DTAM could do exactly this as well as changing the mode from program to run, clear errors. These capabilities seemed to have disappeared in later HMI's. And now this display in in Silver Series status. I was able to walk customers through a number of unanticipated problems just by using the great addressing capabilities of this display. It will be missed.

A-B's PanelView designers recognized that the DTAM had those special capabilities and built them into later revisions of the PanelView Standard firmware for units that used DH-485 protocol (like the DTAM did). The features don't exist on any other protocol (even DF1 or DH+) or on any other platform. The special control codes to put the controller into Program Mode and then to perform an EEPROM burn aren't generally part of an HMI communication server's capabilities. I've done them using some special DeviceNet/DF1 interfaces, but that's not easy. Your best bet is to use a small PanelView Standard terminal with DH485 if it's available to connect to your model of controller.

I guess I never realized that.. from a DH485 panelview you can tell the SLc to write to its EEPROM?! I'll have to go take a look and see if I can find that. It would be in the config screen somewhere I take it?

just to revive this topic,im replying it does anybody has an answer to the query posted by me it wud b of gr8 help if anybody provides a ray of light in this matter,as it would solve my lot of problems regards Thanks in advance NileshSURYA

To re-state: YES, PanelView Standard terminals with DH-485 protocol can cause SLC-500 controllers to write to their EEPROM modules. This is the only HMI/controller combination of which I am aware that can do this. What kind of controllers are you using, Nilesh ?

Is there a control tag that does this? I looked all over the config screen and I'm pretty sure you can't do it from there..

Go into PB32 Help and type "mode control" into the search function. "Creating a Mode Control Object" will be the title of this topic. It's well hidden ! Even though it pretends to be addressing a S:1/x status tag, that's just a way for PB32 to represent the special DF1 code that causes the controller to go into program mode or burn an EEPROM. You can't actually write to those S:1/x addresses and make these functions happen.

Wow, Ken...that's great! Good to know stuff; and to think I built machines with DH-485 PV550's and SLC 5/03's for seven years and diedn't have a clue. Thanks!