#1 Smartguy

Smartguy

Sparky

• MrPLC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:45 PM

Hi!
I wanna make electronics project using PLC. I have very little knowledge in plc and controles but i m suer if u guys help me :clap: , i will able to make it.
First of all i have no idea wat to make. other guys in my class r make on amplifier, radio, sensors..... i m planning to make simple and small project. which might include microcontroller. my budget is around $300-$400. any plc will work as i m good at none :-1
so any idea??

#2 RDay

RDay

Sparky

• MrPLC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:PLC's, Robotics, computers, and anything with little flashing lights.

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:10 PM

You could use the PLC to control many things. Process equipment, automated assembly, conveyors, ect. It seems that the most widely used (or at least inquired about) student application with a PLC is the "STOP LIGHT". It is a simple process but it uses many functions such as timers, counters, bit shifts, ect. You may want to consider this one.

As for the PLC itself Automation Direct.com has a PLC for around $100.00 Software is $99.00 Programming cable is $30.00. It is a very capable unit and it is not too bad to learn to program.

(http://web2.automati...C_Units/D0-05AR

#3 Smartguy

Smartguy

Sparky

• MrPLC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:09 AM

You could use the PLC to control many things. Process equipment, automated assembly, conveyors, ect. It seems that the most widely used (or at least inquired about) student application with a PLC is the "STOP LIGHT". It is a simple process but it uses many functions such as timers, counters, bit shifts, ect. You may want to consider this one.

As for the PLC itself Automation Direct.com has a PLC for around $100.00 Software is $99.00 Programming cable is $30.00. It is a very capable unit and it is not too bad to learn to program.

(http://web2.automati...C_Units/D0-05AR

Thanks Rday!
But i dont get wat u mean by STOP LIGHT? what is the application? is it like trafic signal? This kind of simple project will be great and i appricate more input from u abt this. as i said i have very little knowledge so i need more help regarding parts and plc. its same as u r explaning a grade 1 kids how to write ABC.... :clap:

Smartguy :-1

#4 RDay

RDay

Sparky

• MrPLC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:PLC's, Robotics, computers, and anything with little flashing lights.

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:06 AM

Smartguy

Sorry. :clap: I should have said traffic signal. I sometimes forget that others may not be familiar with my terminology ("Hick-nees").

You could use a few panel lights to simulate the traffic lights and with a few push buttons you could even have pedestrian crossings (walk/don't walk).

This simple application can have many variations too. Some traffic lights switch to 4 way flash after a certain time of the day. Some switch to sensor mode during light traffic hours, a prox or photo eye could be used here. Some have turn lane signals, ECT, ECT.
It would only be limited by the number of I/O you have. It is a fairly straight forward program but it forces you to think about sequencing and logic.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

#5 Smartguy

Smartguy

Sparky

• MrPLC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:11 AM

Thaks Rday,
I will start working on it from next week so i will need more help from u n other members. i will keep updating

#6 Smartguy

Smartguy

Sparky

• MrPLC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:00 PM

One good news and one bad news!

Bad news is my praposal for trafic signal is rejected. Reason- too simple n easy, even a monkey can make it :-1 ( ya nothing but a stupid teacher)
Good news is now I will make a robot :-)
So the project will be more electronics, hardware n software. I dont know how I gonna do it but I will do it if u guys help me :-1
So basically project will be interfacing microcontroller with outputs. I will have motors for driving robot. I m planning to put camera on it and might use temprature senser to show temparture.
Anybody have ever made it or any idea! any good web contaning schamatics n software coads?
Lets see how it goes!

Smartguy :-1

#7 Chris Elston

Chris Elston

Controls Engineer

• Super Admin
  • 3078 posts
    United States

Posted 27 January 2005 - 05:02 AM

It's funny that you should say this...

I help out a group of high school kids to build a robot every year in a program called FIRST (usfirst.org)

They used a spec'd controller (PIC micro). This year it has a camera onboard. You can check it out here:

http://www.ifirobotics.com/

The default C Code for the robot + camera is here:

http://www.ifiroboti...12-2005v2.4.zip

#8 Smartguy

Smartguy

Sparky

• MrPLC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:07 AM

Once again I have to change my project. someone was already working on robot project.
Now I m working on door security system. and its final this time already start working on ckt. The only trouble is Assembly language :burn: . after using PLC I hate doing machine level programming. :-2

#9 ilsk8

ilsk8

Sparky

• MrPLC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:08 AM

How about building or using the on board pulse width modulator to control the speed of a small 24v d.c. motor.
The code will allow ramp up and down of the motor from interaction with an encoder.
You can use a OMRON photoelectric device EE-SY310/-SY410 (under a5) to be the encoder as it has 24v switching capabilities (if you are in the UK it is available from RS)
For a motor check out MFA/Como Drills, because you can by a small gearbox motor for under a 10 with a wide range of operating voltages and gear rarios, either from maplin electronics or RS (UK only I think)

#10 Guest_Guest_croakus_*

Guest_Guest_croakus_*

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:11 PM

It's probably too late to try this project:
Minty

It's amazing what you can do with technology....

#11 ilsk8

ilsk8

Sparky

• MrPLC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:30 PM

Very nice :hitit:
like that a lot. :doh:

Download » General Topics - The Lounge

No categories found.

Store » General Topics - The Lounge