Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lars_01

Concurrent License issues

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I have some issues with my concurrent activations and wonder if anyone seen anything similar I have the activations on a Windows 2003 Server and running FactoryTalk Activation Manager 3.30 (I tried the old Activation Server, but had the same result) When borrowing activations we usually connect using VPN to the server, the problem is that it takes a couple of minutes for the activations to show up on the client. I have been waiting for over 5minutes for 8 activations to show up. And sometimes they do not show up at all. The VPN is connecting to a Router We have tried different routers and different VPN clients and different VPN types. I have only connected to the server without VPN once and I actually think that it took almost as much time to update the activations that time to (But it was once when I was testing some other things, so I do not recall exactly) Does anyone have any Ideas of what the problem could be?

FT Activation runs over TCP Port 27000. You could put a sniffer on the network (after the VPN, of course) and compare the traffic to a direct network connection. I haven't encountered any sort of performance issues like that.

I have a similar issue after upgrading Factory Talk Activation Manager. I don't remember the version at the moment but was upgraded when I installed RSLogix 5000 Ver. 19. Initially after upgrading, I was unable to connect to our activations server. After speaking with Rockwell support, he had me precede our server address with '27000@' in the activations path. He said normally it is not needed but for some reason was in this case. In any case, my activations are showing up but much slower than they did before. They used to take a few minutes before they would all show up at once. Now they show up one at a time every 10 to 15 seconds or so. Depending on your connection speed this will obviously very but it is still a significant difference than before. The Rockwell tech blamed it on our VPN. Sorry I didn't answer your question or help you out any way, but I wanted to share the experience.