Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hboyer90

1769-HSC Ring Counter vs Linear Counter

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm running a 1769-HSC hooked up to a visi-trak transducer. I'm curious, what is the difference between configuring the module as a ring counter vs a linear counter. Both seem to work for my application. Thanks

A ring counter continues counting when it reaches its limits. A linear counter stops counting when it reaches its limits. Page 28 in the 1769-HSC manual has a good explanation: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um006_-en-p.pdf Edited by AndrewG

A ring counter wraps around from the high count to the low count and sets a bit to note that it has done so. We use it in our application where we are detecting the distance a belt has traveled. When it reaches the desired distance the bit triggers an action while the counter continues on from the low count (zero in our case). We also perform actions based on the actual count during the measurement.

Ok, that makes sense, thank you. Yeah, our count isn't getting anywhere close to the max count, so it probably wont make a difference for us. I am using it to measure the stroke of a piston rod and we base our velocities off of how far the piston has traveled. But our max distance is something like 12 inches, so the count never really gets very high.