Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryno

Good PLC class in Chicago area

6 posts in this topic

I am looking for a PLC class in the Chicagoland area. I live in the NW suburbs. I saw one offered at Harper starting next year that looks pretty good. I wasn't sure if there was a very popular or well known school that offers a good class or classes in PLC's or Automation. Thanks.

I went to Lake County Community College a couple years ago for a basic PLC course. It was OK for what it was. It was very basic, discrete I/O only, timers, counters, basic stage programming and sequencer programming, no analog, no HMI, no data communications, no structured text, no mention of IEC standards. The equipment consisted of a few SLC 500 A-B chassis and racks, a couple ancient A_B somethings that used only a DOS program, and a half dozen TI 500 series (Koyo), which is what I used. The PCs used for development were old and creaky, but worked well enough to accomplish the course. The lab where the equipment was was open during the day and evening, and I went 3 or 4 times during non-class times to do work on a project. At the time, there was only the one course, no follow -up for more advanced topics. Elgin Community was supposed to have 2 courses but canceled the beginner course that particular session. Any course requires some minimum sign-up for it or it gets cancelled. NIU had a PLC course also, and I stopped by the lab one evening, and from what I could see through the locked door window the equipment looked first class and up-to-date. That course description said it required some C programming but when I inquired about that it wasn't really necessary. I did have a basic disagreement with the philosophy of the CLC course instructor. I believe in open book because that's the way real people work, at least I do, with the documentation right there, and I use it. And when I hire people I expect them to know how to use documentation so they don't come asking me the simple things that one can and is supposed to look up. I don't memorize mnemonic instructions for the sake of it, I just look them up until I've used one often enough to know it. Part of a PLC course should be to familiarize oneself with what the documentation is and how to use it. I'd suggest you stop by the 'lab' and check out what equipment they're using to see if it's suitable for what you're trying to accomplish. Dan

this is EXCELLENT! advice from DanW ... in the long run, you can work around lousy instructors and course material (and anything else) just as long as the hardware and the software are available ... notice that I'm NOT saying that all instructors are rotten - some are absolutely first rate ... but the idea is that if you are motivated to learn the material, you can make magic happen - with or without (or even in spite of) an instructor ... but you can NOT do it without the hardware and the software ... also make sure that the lab will be available for "extra hours" work when your schedule will allow it ... some aren't due to liability/insurance issues ... thank a lawyer ... tip: make a detailed list of catalog numbers for the lab's equipment and post it here ... if you're totally new to this field, we can help by telling you what looks good - and what to skip ... also include software types and version numbers too ... I'd try to nail this stuff down on my first "before-I-sign-up-guided-tour" of the lab ... if the instructor who's "showing you around" won't help with this unusual first step, then that's a mark in the "minus" column ... if he's impressed with your serious attention to detail and even helps with the list, then that's a big mark on the "plus" side of the clipboard ... now he might not want you to be removing modules from the chassis to check the model numbers - but he shouldn't have any problem removing the modules himself so that you can jot down the information ... good luck ... and please keep us posted ...

Thanks for the advice. Looking into the lab area or asking about equipment is something I didn't think of. Most of the classes have begun for this semester. Unfortunatly it looks like I will have to wait a few months to start taking any classes. Thanks for the advice. If I start a class in the future, I will post something.

Are you looking for you personally or for a staff of electricians? This makes a difference on what is available.