Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rajsiyer

configuration of G-File 1747 SN

9 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, Please somebody help me out with this one. I am working on a SLC-5/04 having a 1747 SN scanner in its slot #1 and connected to the 1747 ASB adapter in a Remote I/O rack. The situation is as follows. The RIO rack has 10 slots. The first slot has the ASB adapter and another 8 all having IB-32 discrete inputs only. There is also one empty slot. All of the 8 IB-32 modules need to be scanned. I need to know how to set up the G-File for this set up. Also the settings for SW1, Sw2 and SW3 on the ASB adapter. A million thanks in advance for the guys who'd help me get this right. Raj S. Iyer

Check out the following links for some tips, assuming you have a series B card... If you have any more specific questions after reading trhough the following information it may be more useful as this is a fairly complicated and lenghthy procedure.... Dip Switch Settings: http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...5256AFB006334CB Programming: http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...95?OpenDocument Misc: http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...5256CC6006D8A23 http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...5256AFB006E2306 Edited by TechJunki

from the "silver platter" department ... well, here’s my best guess ... SW1-1 = on SW1-2 = on SW1-3 = on SW1-4 = on SW1-5 = on SW1-6 = on SW1-7 = on SW1-8 = on SW2-1 = on SW2-2 = on SW2-3 = off SW2-4 = on SW2-5 = on SW2-6 = off SW2-7 = off SW2-8 = off SW3-1 = off SW3-2 = on SW3-3 = on SW3-4 = off SW3-5 = off SW3-6 = on SW3-7 = on SW3-8 = on sorry but there’s no guarantee that this will work ... you left out quite a few things in your specifications ... to come up with these settings, I assumed (gosh I hate that word) that there is nothing else already connected to the 1747-SN ... and that you’re using 57.6 KB for your baud rate ... that you do not require “hold last state” operation (since you’re only using inputs, that’s a pretty safe bet) ... that the empty slot is the last one (far right) in the chassis ... that you can live with the slower (but more reliable) restricted link response setting ... and ... that it’s ok for the processor to automatically restart the remote chassis ... and don’t forget to read up on the correct setting for the “I/O Module Keying” switch (SW3-8) ... this one is usually changed as a “last step item” after the Remote I/O system is fully commissioned ... notice that this arrangement makes use of 1/2-slot addressing ... so each input module will have two 16-bit words worth of bits assigned to it ... for example: the first module will use the following addresses: I:1.0/0 through I:1.0/15 ... AND ... I:1.1/0 through I:1.1/15 the second module will use the following addresses: I:1.2/0 through I:1.2/15 ... AND ... I:1.3/0 through I:1.3/15 etc. ... etc. ... the last module will use the following addresses: I:1.14/0 through I:1.14/15 ... AND ... I:1.15/0 through I:1.15/15 and the last (empty) slot will have NO addresses assigned to it ... usually I like to try things like this out in the lab before I post them - but unfortunately I don’t have any 32-bit modules handy right now ... so be sure to cross your fingers before you give it a try ... anyway ... I’d bet slightly more than pocket change that this will get you going ... and if any of my assumptions were off-target, post again and we’ll give it another shot ... and one more thing ... have you thought about what will happen to the status of these inputs if (when?) the remote I/O cable gets pulled loose? ... basic idea: they’ll stay in their last ON or OFF state ... if that could be a safety issue in your particular system, then you might want to check into how to handle that situation ... finally ... I’ve just got to say it ... 8 modules times 32 bits equals 256 inputs ... man, that’s a LOT of inputs with no outputs ... what the heck is this thing anyway? ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Hi Ron & Tech Junkie Thanx a million. Your explanation is more than adequate. Your assumptions are indeed correct. This rack is for monitoring limit switches placed on pneumatically operated valves, for detecting their. open and closed positions and giving this as feedback to the PLC. Today, I shall configure the thing and by evening shall tell you how it went. I am all too inclined to serve you all the beer you could drink on a Silver Platter! My turn for now. Raj S. Iyer

Hi Ron.... Did attempt as per your suggestions. You're right that we dont need to retain last state and further that automatic restart of the ASB is indeed desirable. However..... The ASB module( The only one attached to the scanner) displays a blinking fault light along with Error code E50 alternating with L01. The E50 means Hardware parity error. What does it mean? what do I do next. regards, R.S.Iyer

Not sure what I/o parity error means - the 1746-ASB manual lists the fault but doesn't give any direction as to what action you need to take. The L01 means the problem is with the card in slot 1. Try swapping card 1 for card 2 and see if the fault moves with the card i.e module displays L02.

Hi Buddies, In my attempts to resolve the issue so far.. This is what I have observed. 1. The RIO scanner's com light stays green when there's no I/o module inserted in the remote rack. The ASB module at this condition cleanly boots up displaying PUP and then displays 'run' 2. whenever a module is inserted (of course after switching off the power) in any slot of the RIO rack, the fault light blinks... E50 alternating with L01 toL08 i.e. whichever slot holds the first module. That is there's no ASB error indication provided there's no I/O module in any rack. 3. The I/O modules were all checked on another PLC rack with a local SLC5-/03 cpu and were found to be working normally. 4. The 10 slot RIO rack was itself tested with a local 5/03 cpu with any or all the I/o modules. When connected to RS-Logix, they worked fine.. ie it was possible to automatically read the I/o config. and put a program in the PLC and take it to run mode all without any errors. 5. When the ASB adapter was installed on another 4 slot rack with or without I/o modules, it went on to 'run' with proper communication with the SN scanner, despite the fact that the G-file configuration was for 10 slot rack with 256 DI( 8xIB32s) What do I make of all this? is the RIO Rack bad or the ASB ? with best wishes to all and waiting for any clue, I remain, R.S.Iyer

based on this test, I would be highly suspicious of the 10-slot chassis ... I know that you were able to get the same chassis to work properly while using an SLC-5/03 processor (as in your test #4) ... but ... the ASB adapter makes use of different parts of the chassis ... specifically, some of its connections use different pin/socket contacts and different chips from those used by a processor ... if you had not mentioned the test quoted above, I’d be suspicious of the setting of DIP switch SW3-8 - the “I/O Module Keying” switch ... this should be in “Save” mode (the ON position) when you first set up the system ... even if the switch is already pressed to the ON position, I would press it OFF and then ON several times to be certain that it is making good contact ... I doubt that this will help - due to the results of your test #5 where the ASB functioned ok in another chassis ... I assume that you do not have a spare 10-slot chassis to swap into the remote location for troubleshooting purposes ... that would be the ideal next step ... I would also recommend that you remove and reinstall the ASB module into the existing chassis several times ... this might help by “wiping” the pin and socket contacts of the backplane connections ... think of having to flip the switch of a flashlight on and off several times in order to get a good bright light ... as with the flashlight, we’re dealing with very low voltages on all of these backplane connections ... even a small amount of resistance can cause trouble ... and naturally you should visually check all of the backplane connections (on ASB, I/O modules, and chassis) for bent pins and contamination, etc. ... but your other tests have been so thorough that I’m sure you’ve already done that simple step ... sorry I can’t be more helpful ... but I’m putting my bet (pocket change only) on a bad chassis ... please come back after the dust settles and let us know what you find ... good luck ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Attaboy Ron.. We replaced the rack, bought a new one for $ 450/=( Even the Power supply was good so the rack only) and recommissioned the system. It went to 'run' mode at first attempt. Thanks a million once again. You were right and I did the right thing in going along with your hunch. Once again this site has lived up to its tall ideals. Regarding the bet concerning the amount of change in your pocket.... Come to India and be my guest.. Regards, best wishes and have a good day Raj S. Iyer