Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest trn_psycho

Another ? 4 U.

4 posts in this topic

OK, here's one for you... I have a SLC 5/05 connected to my network via the ethernet port. This allows me to connect remotely to the tool via my wireless network (the machine is HUGE so it's nice to be able to be anywhere within the 150ft length of the machine and still see the logic running.) Attached to this machine, is a panelView 1000. In truth, I have no idea how it's hooked up to the slc, I just know it is. Now my ? is, "Is there a way, since I'm already connected to the SLC, that I can hook up to the panelView to download/upload programs to it via the wireless link?" Right now, in order to do it, I have to take apart the operator control panel (not a quick task) and hit the port on the p-view. Thanks, Kevin

Since you connect up to the PanelView terminal directly, you probably have a good idea about how it must connect to the SLC. If you are using a serial port, the PanelView is probably using that serial connection too. If you use a DF1 driver in RSLinx to connect to the PanelView, the PanelView is using DF1. If you are using a DH485 driver in RSLinx to connect to the PanelView, the PanelView is using DH485. The SLC-5/05 has an "Ethernet Passthrough" function you might be able to use. You're probably going to have to read up on it in the User Manual or the Online Help in RSLogix 500. If you can describe the exact port configuration on the PanelView, Forum users can give you more suggestions. The part number of the PanelView (the exact part number) tells that precisely.

I'm not sure of the exact part numbers right now, as I'm not at work. Also, I don't have any of the panelView programs here at the house. I know that I have three machines hooked up like this. All are SLC 505's. One is connected to a PV 550 (or 600 I'm not sure which -it's color), one is connected to a PV 1000, and one is connected to a PV 1400e. When I started with the company, none of these were even using the ethernet ports. I added them all to the wireless network without any problems, and the serial port is still open on all of them. (I guess that would mean the pv is tied to another mod somewhere huh?) I guess then, my question really is: Is it possible to connect to a DH+ or DH-485 network (or any other not mentioned network) via any of the other options (like ethernet) on the controller.

These are most likely Remote I/O (RIO) panelviews. I believe that the 1400e was only available as RIO/DH+. Look for 1747-SN modules in your SLC racks; if present, I'll bet the "blue hose" cable goes to their respective panelviews. Also, look at the part numbers on the panelview rear labels. If the 600 is RIO, it will have one of the following part numbers: 2711-K6C1, 2711-B6C1, or 2711-T6C1L1. The 1000 (assuming it's color): 2711-K10C1 or 2711-T10C1. If none of this is true, look for 1747-SDN (DeviceNet) or 1747-SCNR (ControlNet) scanner modules. In either case, since the panelviews are not connected directly to the processor, I don't think you will be able to do any sort of "pass-thru" upload/download arrangement.