Chickenkiller91

memory card CJ2M load program at startup from memory card?

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

My quest is to make a memory card, which I can just put into my PLC on the field and load all program and options etc to my plc. Now i found the official omron guide about it but its not good at all... For example is does not explain that how i need to transfer the H and D memory part to the plc, and that not all network settings are being copied if im not careful.

But my question is: is it possible to make this backup memory card without having the actual plc? Because the process is done in memory card window, which is only available if you are online. So basicly i have to get all the plc rack parts to make this work? I tried with the simulator but ofc it is not working.

Someone mentioned me that it is possible he heard from someone but no one actually knows how to. And there is nothing in the omron manual as i see.

Have you looked at the CJ2 CPU Unit Hardware User's Manual (Cat. No. W472), Simple Backup section 8.3?

I haven't done this in a while but I had trouble with a CJ unit. The hard code (ladder) was successful 100% of the time. The memory (D, H, etc...) was the issue. It is supposed to be contained in the *.IOM file. I could not get it to transfer even with Omron Tech Support assistance.

My alternative was to initialize the memory via PLC ladder code. Concerning the PLC settings, I had to identify memory locations for each of my non-default settings and write them in ladder as well. This is method we used to configure the PLC long before CX Programmer was around.

I will take a look!

Yes it is good if you transfer the memory D E H, but first you need to copy to the plc. I`m still not sure how is it done probably, but at the io table there is a button, transfer to plc. Also at tools you need to open the network configurator, right click on component, and transfer to network (you need to be online). After that you should copy the H and D areas at the memory part from project view in programmer. And after that you can send the E D prgram , parameter, files to the memory card as it is in the guide.

Overall i find it a joke that the guide doesnt tell you everything. There no notification that its just wont work if you doesnt do these steps, and I still unsure why is it working like that, or what is the proper way to do it.

And still i think it shoould be possible without having the cpu, and that you have to go online.. If i have the cou i can just load to it, switch dipswitch 7 and make a backup to the card as i read now

I find the Omron manuals are very informative but the information is broken up into different manuals. Hardware info in hardware manual, programming in software manual, instruction reference, etc... I've found very few guides or step by step instructions. You must think very simply when researching Omron information.

1 person likes this

Thank you that is a good advice! I will try to dig more into memory areas and how it is working.

I had some spare time this morning. I performed the Backup and Restore to/from a memory card as per the instructions in W472. I found the CJ2 procedure to be flawless. It was much easier than my previous experience with the CJ. There are step by step procedures for both backup and restore.

Be aware that CF cards can be an issue with Omron PLCs. They must be formatted in FAT16. This is not an easy task. We ended up purchasing cards from Omron. They are expensive but they work. NEVER format them on a PC.

I purchased several of these a couple of years ago.

Gigaram 128mb

So far I have not had any problems with them and they are a LOT less expensive than the Omron cards.

2 hours ago, Mendon Systems said:

I purchased several of these a couple of years ago.

Gigaram 128mb

So far I have not had any problems with them and they are a LOT less expensive than the Omron cards.

Thanks for the link!