Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmervenne

RSLogix 5000 tasks, programs etc.

7 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am looking to set up my 1769-L36ERM program into separate tasks to keep my program organized. I will have one continuous task that calls the other event tasks. Basically I want the whole program to run continuous by calling these other event tasks from my continuous task. Is there anything I should be aware of or look out for? Thanks Mike

I think you may be confusing terminology. Most likely, what you wish to achieve can be done by having the Main Routine of the Continuous Task call other Routines in the Continuous Task using JSR instructions. It is best to reserve Periodic Tasks and Event Tasks for the special purposes for which they are intended.

No, I have a continuous task for important operations. This task has different programs, each with their own routines.If I were to put everything into the continuous task, I would have more than 100 programs. I have created two other event tasks for less important operations and I am calling these from the continuous task using the event statement. I am emulating and it seems to be working as expected.

I'm not following this thread very closely - so you might already be aware of this ... but ... just to nail down a very important fact ... the "continuous" task is NOT "continuous" in the way that most people THINK that it is ... specifically, the "continuous" task gets interrupted by ANY other task which gets called into operation ... said another way, the "continuous" task has the LOWEST priority - so the "continuous" task must PAUSE while ANY other task is being executed ... popular misconception: when most people hear the term "continuous" they tend to believe, "Well, THIS task will keep right on running (continuously) no matter what else is going on." ... that is NOT correct ... now all of this might not have any effect on your particular system - but the programming method that you seem to be using is rather unorthodox ... if you'd like to post your ACD file, then maybe we could offer some detailed help ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

this thread definitely qualifies for a good chuckle..............

Maybe started on April Fools day, but most probable not, but the emulator doesn't lie and will work it all out. ha,ha.

Note to self...if your application needs a fast CPU that can multi-task, all current Logix offerings will leave you disappointed. What you are left with is figuring out how fast you can run the main CPU task, which calls of your sub-tasks. This overall main task scan time will be a function of how fast you schedule the calling of your sub-tasks. Also, note to self...schedule values are more a suggestion than a concrete value.