Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daryl

Connecting Standalone Micrologix to SCADA

5 posts in this topic

Hi Folks, I have a standalone Micrologix 1400 PLC within a facility that we now wish to connect to the existing FactoryTalk View SCADA system, and am looking for a few pointers on how to do this. The FactoryTalk View has full developer licence and is already part of a closed-loop network with a switch connecting 5 other PLCS to the SCADA system. The current standalone PLC had to be installed by seperate contractors and was therefore never considered for networking, but due to some recent events, we now realise that having the ability to log alarm events and perhaps even trend some information, therefore I've suggested that we connect it up. So, other than the most obvious part of running an ethernet cable from PLC to switch, what else do I have to do to get this up and running? I've not created alarms in a SCADA system before, but I'm sure that's not particularly difficult, however, do I have to do anything at the current standalone PLC? thanks.

Of course you have to set an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the MicroLogix 1400 that are compatible with the network and addressing scheme for your enterprise network. The MicroLogix 1400 IP address can be configured in the User Program (connect over serial) or even with the onboard keypad. The exact keypad sequence is described in the User Manual.

Thanks for that, being an ex-Cisco network engineer, I've got that part covered. However, do I have to set something up at the Micrologix end to transfer data to the main PLC (controllogix) before setting up the alarms? thanks

If the Micrologix is on the same Ethernet network, why not just have the FactoryTalk View SCADA poll data from the Micrologix directly? Of course the alternative is to setup a message instruction in the ControlLogix to read data blocks from the Micrologix (always safer to READ than WRITE).

You would be floored by how many folks don't know the basics of Ethernet or TCP/IP but are responsible for automation networks. The MicroLogix family doesn't support the "FactoryTalk Alarms and Events" functionality that FactoryTalk View SE does, so you'll use the standard alarming subsystem that just reads data out of the controller directly. FactoryTalk View almost always uses it native RSLinx Enterprise data server, which supports both PLC/SLC/MicroLogix and ControlLogix family controllers. Edited by Ken Roach