Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
omron_newbie

1761 NET-ENI with PLC 5/40 Enhanced

6 posts in this topic

Good day to all, I am having a problem with my Net-ENI module. First of all I must start by saying I have never tried this and don 't even know if it's possible. I know that the NET-ENI Manual "says" it can connect to a PLC-5 but my question is HOW? and is there Limits to which revision of Processor can and cannot support this method? I have configured the NET-ENI module with the utility software and can see the IP address with RSLinx. I have a DB25 to DB9 Adapter on CH0 on my 1785-L40B/E Processor and I have CH1A Free (But it's fixed DH+) and CH1B and CH2A as RIO and CH2B is DH+ to an existing PV+ 600. Right now I have a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable from the DB9 connect to the 1761-NET-ENI module. So my question is why is the EDS picture showing as the NET-ENI (Says comm is Idle) and not as the PLC-5 picture as expected (I have also connected the 1761-NET-ENI to a Weidmuller hub.) Does anyone know if I'm missing a step. If I can't solve the 1761 NET-ENI option then I'm going to go get a 1785-ENET sidecar and be done with it.

Have you verified the functionality of the PLC-5 Channel 0 Serial Port? Try connecting to the CPU using a RSLinx DF-1 (RS232) driver and at least eliminate the possibility of a "stuck" or misconfigured Channel 0.

PLC-5 controllers with Channel 0 RS-232 ports have been the same since the beginning; it's definitely not a firmware issue like support of the 1785-ENET can be. A 9/25 converter plus a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable should work, as long as the 9/25 converter is "straight through" and isn't trying to be a Null Modem adapter too. I put the "straight through" in quotes because DB9 and DB25 actually have opposite pin configurations for Tx and Rx (pins 2 and 3) so swapping pins 2 and 3 is a "straight through" connection. Every 9/25 converter I've ever seen was "straight through". The PLC-5 serial port default error checking is BCC, and I believe that the 1761-NET-ENI supports only CRC. Verify the serial port settings of the Channel 0 port using DF1 Autoconfigure in RSLinx Classic, or by going online with the PLC-5 via DH+.

Thanks For the reply. I KNOW that the DF1 Ch0 Port is working and not "Stuck" as I am using it to go Online with RSlogix5. I did check my auto config in RSLinx and it is as you said Ken; Error check is set to BCC. So now the question I have is: Why does the 1761-NET-ENI manual say it will work with a PLC5? I've only every used these with Micrologix PLC's and SLC5/04 or earlier.

Just for the fun of it change the error detect on your PLC5's serial port to "CRC" and see what happens.

"I have a DB25 to DB9 Adapter on CH0 on my 1785-L40B/E Processor ".... "Right now I have a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable from the DB9 connect to the 1761-NET-ENI module."..." "(I have also connected the 1761-NET-ENI to a Weidmuller hub.)..." I am sorry if I have misinterpeted your above statements. They state that you are "hopping" RSLinx through the 1761-NET-ENI using an Ethernet driver and not DIRECTLY from the PC to the PLC5 CH 0 using a DF-1(RS232 ) driver. What RSLinx driver are you using to go Online with the PLC5 when connected via the NET-ENI module? Although the available information does not explicitely states it, it seems that the NET-ENI module is being used for mapping the PLC5 CH0 Serial Port as a Virtual Commuinications Port of the machine running RSLinx by "converting " the Serial protocol at the PLC5 RS232 Port end to Ethernet, pass it onto the network and then "translating" it back to Serial at the client PC end. If this is true then maybe the "communications link status" feature of RSLinx is not functional within this topology. If you are using a DF-1 RSLinx driver, running your communications through the NET-ENI module, your are "virtually" serially connected to the PLC5. You are actually using the Ethernet protocol layer between the module and your PC's network interface. Edited by dmargineau