Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bjcanning

Displaying a cognex camera on a panelview +

3 posts in this topic

I searched the forum and didn't find any posts in regards to what I'm trying to do. I thought I would give everyone something to think about. I am wanting to display my vision system images on my panelview plus 600. I don't want to display anything other than the images that the camera takes. (Not worried about the tools, ect.) Here's the details: I'm using the new micro from cognex. I'm programming the vision system with insight explorer version 4.2.0. I have a micrologix 1100 with a panelview plus 600. I think that panelview + uses windows ce so I'm not sure where to even start on this. I know this may be possible (at least on a panelview plus ce display with DVT/Frameworks) because the previous place I worked had this going on. I would check with them but the machine wasn't programmed in house. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I've only been able to do this with an RS View Station not a Panel View +. Because Panel View + is not like a Windows platform, therefore .NET can not run on it. If it was a PC based Panel View running some kind of Windows or Embedded Windows other than Windows CE, I think it should work fine for you as an Active X. Here is a clip from website: ActiveX Display Control Integrate an In-Sight vision system Custom View interface and camera image into third-party HMI programs using the In-Sight ActiveX Display Control. This control can be easily placed and configured within several top HMI software packages including Rockwell® RSView®, Invensys Wonderware® InTouch®, and Parker/CTC InteractX.

Likewise, I've only been able to do this with FactoryTalk View Studio for a PC running FactoryTalk ME Station, not PanelView, and only with Cognex In-Sight.  But here is how.  First, install the same version of InSight Explorer that you are running on your FT View Studio computer onto the PC running FT ME Station - this will include the ActiveX files required for that PC.  Now open your HMI program in Studio, go to the Objects menu -> ActiveX Control and position the object on your screen.  Once you do that, a dialogue box titled "Insert an ActiveX Control" pops up, then select Cognex In-Sight Display Control and hit OK.  Now the Properties box of the object will pop up, or just double click on the object.  Go to the Connections tab.  For the Enabled field add a boolean tag (I used a bit that is always on).  For the AutoConnectString type "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,admin," including the quotation marks and both commas where xxx is the camera's IP address.  For the AutoReconnect field add a Boolean tag (I used a bit that is always on).  For the ImageScale field, enter a numerical constant to adjust the scale of the image so it fits in the region of the object you created.  For the ShowGraphics field, you can enter a Boolean tag and when you toggle that tag it will alternate between showing the InSight Tools overlayed on the camera image, or just the camera image.  For the ShowImage field enter a Boolean tag that you can toggle if you want to show the image or just a gray region.  There are more properties to play with, but that should get you started.  Also one other note - if you have your ME Station program open to the screen with this display and you also have In-Sight Explorer connected to the camera, the two will not play nicely and typically only one will work at a time.

Edited by RWD Controls
clarification
1 person likes this