Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DraganVeljanoski

Converting from Omron PLC to Allen Bradley PLC

4 posts in this topic

I have a project that requires converting an OMRON PLC to an Allen Bradley PLC. The owner wants, ladder diagrem from OMRON PLC, to be converted in to Allen Bradley ladder diagram format and download it straight to the new AB PLC. I don't know in full how the plant is operating. I have only original omron lader program. Is there a software that can convert ladder diagram of different PLC brand to another PLC brand. I would like to listen yours opinion or experience of this topic. What do you think about it? Is it possible to do this or not? Regards, Dragan

In concept it is doable. The Omron PLC program can be converted to mnemonic code and stored as a text file. A standard word processor can substitute at your direction the Omron Mnemonic for the AB Mnemonic. The text file can then be improted into RSlogix and downloaded. That said there are a few "hurdles". for example some Omron mnemonics don't have rockwell direct equivalents. The addressing schemes can be quite different. and the list goes on.

I've run into a few plc's that I've had to change out to AB's. One was an Omron C-20 with 2 expansion racks that runs a seaming machine, changed to a SLC 501. The other was a Idec micro that I changed out to a micrologix 1000 for an automated powder coating paint line. I never tried Bob's method because I never knew it could be done until just now. Basically what I did with the OLD Omron was: I had the original ladder diagram (which is a BIG help) and I made a spreadsheet of all the relays, timers, counters, etc.. Then I mimicked them to AB relays, timer, counters, etc.. Example; Omron relay 116 becomes AB relay B3:0/0. Omron Timer T1 becomes AB timer T4:0. And so on. Then you have to look at the branching on the original ladder diagram and make sure you can do the same thing or close with the AB. The only thing that may get you frazzled, is if there is a lot of logic going on. Something like a lot of math or a bunch of Copys and Moves or messaging sort of stuff. You will really have to do your homework on BOTH plc's to figure out if each of the functions are the same or not. The only other option is to start FRESH with the AB plc and write your own program from scratch. You will just have to know the order of operations for the job and all safety circuitry involved so no one gets hurt.

Pay a special attention to special feature like high speed counter and interrupt, Omron & AB plc are really different on this point.