Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conor

Source control

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone knows of any good programs out there that I can use for source control. Basically, I want to be able to create user accounts and be able to check in/out code via these accounts. I am just looking for more control over the code that we have in work. Is there any open source stuff out there, or do I need to splash out on software?? Thanks

Open source, you can look into Subversion or CVS. Subversion claims to be a replacement for CVS and takes care of some limitations CVS has. I've used Subversion personally and it takes a little while to get set up and used to, but works great. Keeps every old revision of all files so you can revert if needed, but I suppose that should be pretty standard. If you really feel like paying, my co-workers have used Microsoft Source Safe in the past. I haven't looked into any other commercial products. Edited by pandersen

If you are looking for PLC and Industrial source code version control then look at what we are using AutoSave from MDT Software. It at least for an largely AB based business is working great.

Thanks for that. I downloaded Subversion, but got bogged down in the installation. I will try again to see if I can set it up

I have to agree with BobLfoot. We are mainly AB based and Autosave works wonders. Autosave for version control and FactoryTalk for access control makes a potent team. Autosave can also run scheduled compares to verify whether your backup in your version control software matches the online running program. It costs a packet of money, but considering what your plant and production is worth, spend it and use correctly. Aftersales service directly from MDT must be the best I have ever encountered.