Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Lou

printing via slc500 serial port

2 posts in this topic

I would like to print data periodically to a serial printer attached to the RS232 port of a SLC5/05. I understand what is required as far as the hardware interfacing and the SLC ACII serial port setup. However, I am vague on the PLC programming requirements. I would like to see an example setup. If anyone out there has done this successfully, could I possibly get a copy of the programming and description of the printer model used?

I was using serial printers couple of times, usually attached to the RS232 port of the PanelView but it's all pretty much the same. What you need is acsii write command in your PLC. It is better to start with PC because it's easier and faster thanks to copy&paste to figure out what produces proper output (print). So connect the printer to COM port of your PC (COM1 for example), install driver and try to print stuff you want printed (maybe something simple to start with...). When it works, use second COM port so you print from COM1 to COM2 instead of from COM1 to printer. The idea is to capture message using some sort of terminal like Hyperterminal (comes with windows). Once you have the data, use programming manual for your printer and lookup commands that were used. If your printout will never change, and you don't want to bother with commands just put the same string in your PLC memory and fire it off when needed.