Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lynchmob

ML1500 Cam Switch

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, I have used encoders with micro1500's before using the high speed counters on the base unit. But now I have to fire a bunch of outputs on and off based on encoder position (like a cam switch). The HSC instruction only has one set of presets, so it looks like it might be a problem changing preset on the fly to control all the outputs (approx 8 of them). Anyone have any experience with this application? Maybe I am forced to use 1769-HSCE ? Thanks

You could use a Grey Encoder, this would require 8 or 9 digital inputs (depending on resolution), beauty of this would be that the position is absolute and is remembered even when power is cycled.

If single phase counter is OK for you, use interrupt assigned to the encoder pulse. Organize a software high-speed counter in this interrupt, and control as many bits as necessary. Refresh them immediately, if they are PLC outputs. Use >= OSR (not just =) in comparisons. In this case lost interrupt will not result in bit control failure- next interrupt will proceed it. It is little more difficult, though still possible, to organize a quadrature high-speed counter.