Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
svn

CP1L USB

5 posts in this topic

While communicating with CP1L, CX-Programmer uses which protocol (Toolbus, FINS, Sysway)? Can any other software like SCADA use the USB port to communicate with CP1L? SVN

Hiya. Don't know about the protocal but yes the USB port can still be used with SCADA product like CX-Supervisor, with an OPC Server (like CX-Server OPC) or programmed direct from VB/VC with CX-Server Lite. Of course there are USB limitations: limited cable length you can only have one USB device connected to the PC if you're doing 'local' programming with a different laptop, you have to unplug the SCADA Best of all though the cable costs £1 from PoundLand Hope this helps... Regards, Bertie

Bertie, thanks for the info. In VB application, how do you directly (i.e. without using CX-OPC) access the PLC using USB? When we use VB to directly access the PLC we have to define the protocol. I know the HostLink protocol but I don't have info on Toolbus. Or we have to install CX-Server on target PC and use DDE? On my PC, I am able to access the PLC using CX-Programmer but in Device Manager no COM port is shown corresponding to the CP1L USB driver. But when I install the CS1W-CIF31 (USB to Serial converter) it shows up as COM port in device manager. Regards SVN

DDE? no no no Apart from being 10 years out of date, made obsolete by OLE which was was made obsolete by COM which was made obsolete by .Net, in my opinion it is leaky and unstable for reliable use. Thankfully I don't need to learn about Hostlink or toolbus. That's the beauty of CX-Lite for a few hundred pounds I can talk to all PLCs over all networks without investing any time myself to learn (and debug ) this Omron specific stuff myself. Anybody else help with the protocol used over USB? Bertie.

Bertie, thanks for the info. In some applications, we need to read only few words from PLC memory typically from DM area. In such cases implementing Host Link on serial or FINS on ethernet in VB is very easy and cheaper also compared to using CX-OPC or Compolet (which is same as CX-Lite I think). Regards SVN Edited by svn