Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulengr

Red Lion G3 to PLC-5

6 posts in this topic

Is it possible to connect a Red Lion G308 to a PLC-5 over Ethernet? Reason that I'm asking is that before I go and buy two G308's, I want to make sure it will work. I wrote a quick program just to display the time (S:23) and it doesn't work in the emulator, so that makes me a bit nervous.

paulengr, Yes it's possible with a G3. the emulator isn't perfect but it should get the regular N,F,T,C or B file data just fine. I hooked a G3-15 up to a PLC-5/60 that uses a 1785-ENET "SideCar" without any issues, but I didnt attempt any data from the "S" file type either. BD

What settings? There are two drivers, the older DF-1 Master driver, and a newer "PCCC/EIP" driver. I'm assuming that the PCCC driver will work, but I'm not sure. The older one seems to be for a NET-ENI, but again, documentation is non-obvious and lacking here. For that matter, I've also seen documentation suggesting that you set "SLC" as the PLC type instead of PLC-5.

paulengr, Protocol is Allen Bradley DF1 Master Device is PLC-5 Link Type is "Use Dedicated Socket" ICMP Ping is Enable BD

paulengr, bikerdude is correct, you want the DF1 Master driver, not the PCCC one. The PCCC driver is for a ML1100, anything connected to an ENI, or a CLX that has PLC/SLC messages configured. Regards, Dan

Yep. I tried it and switched to N7:0 just to test everything and it worked. Then switched back to S:23 and that worked, too. Getting away from the CLX backplane routing stuff (ie, PCCC/EIP driver) took care of the problem.