Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Linne

Help WIth Function Blocks, Please!

5 posts in this topic

I've a requirement to include Totalizers in a CLX project. I'm new to any serious CLX work, so I poked around and downloaded "MotorRunHours.ACD" which shows what I need. The ladder logic is no problem. Then I see a Function Block Diagram where the totalizer is running in a Routine called Every_1. I can find all sorts of help topics that discuss function blocks but I STILL can't figure out how to get started. I get hung-up at "Insert a Function Block Element from a toolbar". "A. On the FBE Toolbar, click the tab for the desired group of function block menemonics." PROBLEM: Where is the FBE Toolbar?? Is this done in a Ladder FIle?? If not, how do I create a Function Block File?? The only "Type" choice I have when I select "New Routine" is "Ladder Diagram". I think I'm making something simple into something difficult. Any help will be MOST appreciated! Bill

The key is: RSLogix 5000 only has the Ladder Logic editor in the basic Standard package. The other languages can be activated individually, but most users buy the package (either Full or Professional) that includes the Ladder Diagram, Function Block Diagram, Structured Text, and Sequential Function Chart languages.

How do I determine which I have, Ken? I'll get whatever activation I need, just need to know how to proceed. Thanks for you help!

In RSLogix 5000, select "Help -> About RSLogix 5000" from the main menu, and click the "More Info" button and the installed components of RSLogix 5000 will be displayed. I have not experimented with this display, but I think it will display only the components that are activated (all the languages are installed by default). The de-facto determinant is what types of routine can be created in a program. If you only have Ladder Diagrams available, you only have the LD activation onboard. There are different part numbers for each bundle; you can call RSI contract services and figure out which part number is associated with your serial number. Your distributor can figure that out for you, too.

Okay, Ken. I was just dragging out my activation disks so I'd have serial numbers and all ready for the call to Tech Support. Thanks! Bill