Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baldyspate

Tough wireless

1 post in this topic

Hi: It's been a while and this forum was very helpful then and tho this ain't about PLCs... I'm looking to clean up a very messy situation in an exposed (to product, weather and physical impact) location with an eye towards more automation in the future. It involves hoists, booms, SO cords, RTD or TC wire, and dangling pendants. I'm thinking that wireless RTD transmitters can help with part of the job. The ideal, at least one with some reality attached, would be a Xformer / pwr supply which would pick the 480 from the motor leads right at the motor and supply 120 volts to a wireless xmtr that is already in the supply pipeline. I'm looking for advice in finding as small an industrial quality transformer/pwr supply as possible ( < 10 VA?) and also I'm concerned about the electrical "safety" of the transmitter. I'm not sure about transients, inductive spikes, etc. in such a setup. It will include people who will probably disconnect running 7.5 hp 480V motors at the motor, against instruction, though there will be disconnect rated plug/recepts there to protect them. The the resulting "equipment" would be protected from physical impacts up to and possibly including sledge hammer attack, but will be within a couple of inches of the motor and limited to a few cubic inches in volume. Any advice or directons to information would be greatly appreciated. Baldy