Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big-B

What's The Difference Between PLC2 and PLC2A

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between software versions for the PLC2? One set of diskettes has a catalog number of 6201-PLC2 and the other set is cat number 6203-PLC2A. I've seen the same with PLC3 software (one set is just PLC3 and the other set is PLC3A). What does the "A" designation mean? Is PLC2A better (improved) software than the PLC2 (or vice-versa)? Thanks!

I was hoping for a response too, as I have often wondered the same thing! Hopefully one of the "veterans" will give us an answer :)

I've been around A-B for almost 10 years but never had to actually put my hands on a PLC-2, so I don't know. I know that the 6201 vs 6111 and 6203 vs 6213 was the sifference between 3 1/2 inch diskettes and 5 inch diskettes. I found a reference mentioning the distinction between PLC2A software and PLC2 software; it mentioned that one of them had support for DH (not DH+) and the other did not. It also mentioned that they could be installed simultaneously and separately. Was the 6201 versus 6203 a difference of offline versus offline/online packages ?

The title on the diskettes for the 6201 is "PLC-2 PROG TERMINAL SW" and I believe that is the one I used years ago for the PLC2/30, but can't be certain. The 6203 diskettes have the title "PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT S/W". Does that help? I've never fully understand Allen Bradley's naming conventions. Thanks for your help, btw.

Well, it's been a long time and the memory is hazy... I think 6201 is on-line only and 6203 is off-line and on-line Now, for those that are unaware, there were 3 versions of PLC 2 software from A-B: the first they made themselves with little/no success. It was known as IPDS faced with failure, they badged ICOM's PLC2 Logistics s/w - I think these were 6211/13 versions eventually, with the help of Dynapro, they developed another 'in-house' version that used the Chronos operating system (also used on ControlView) I think these were the 'A' versions. I feel safe in saying there will never be a RSLogix2. There is AI2 and 62xx-PLC2. They have different heritages, but are now sold from the same place.

Hmmm..... So there was something even more rudimentary than the "6200 series" software that we've all come to know and love? (I do remember reading about an ICOM T-3 emulator, but that's a different story) And I was NEVER aware of A-B reselling ICOM software before the corporate buyout in '95.. I've never seen any evidence of A.I. series being "drawn into the fold", there were always two separate, competing product lines (6200 and A.I.) that didn't share any code, licensing, or marketing as far as I ever knew!

A little more historical detail... The IPDS s/w (Integrated Program Development Software) came out around 1983/4. There was a trademark issue (with Intel, I think) so the name changed to 6200. It attempted to be very clever but was utterly useless in reality. So we continued using the T3 and a package from Taylor Industrial Software which was a T3 emulator. Around the same time, ICOM produced their PLC2 Ladder Logistics s/w. It quickly became the market leader. By 1986/7, pleading that they were too busy making 6200 s/w for the PLC5 to work on the PLC2, AB arranged to badge ICOM's s/w. Incidentally, they couldn't spare any time for the PLC3 either and badged s/w from Teledenken. AB finally produced a working version of 6200 PLC5 s/w about 2 years after the hardware was ready, but not before some in-house pessimists had developed a "T5" terminal. After a few years of selling ICOM's s/w, they tossed the problem to Dynapro, who decided to base their work on their Chronos OS which loads on top of DOS. Consequently, you'll never get it to run under Windows of any variety. That came out about 1990/91. Because ICOM were consistently beating them at their own game, and AB's own distributors were promoting the AI and WinLogic s/w against the 6200, AB gave up and bought the company.

I stand corrected! I didn't get into the PLC "scene" until mid-95 so everything I've heard/observed up to that point was pure heresay. I can personally attest to A-B distributors promoting ICOM over 6200, the training dept. at the one I worked for EXCLUSIVELY used A.I. software.. 6200 was only more-or-less mentioned as a footnote! Of course, this was before Rockwell took an active role in discouraging or prohibiting their distributors from selling competitive products.. If the sale had never occurred, A-B distributors would simply not have been allowed to continue offering ICOM!