Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Country

Allen Bradley Versa VIEW 1500

6 posts in this topic

I am currently having problems with this operator interface it is really slow and has shut down on me several times has any one had problems with this lately. it controls a ecoat line here at my factory. I need to back up every thing on it so I won't lose the program. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockwell had a batch of bad hard drives for the VersaView PC's.... contact your Rockwell office and find out if yours is one of the affected units and they'll happily warranty the drive. There was an imaging utility CD included with the computer, too, if you still have it.

Do you need help creating a backup?

If the drive is a Tosh you have a problem. You should be looking at a Fujitsu. Tosh's will overheat if access is continual. Why on earth would Rockwell think that logging data would be anything else? And guess what - Rockwell - you can't delete this thread.

I have seen the same as others have mentioned - the Hard drive will likely totally fail soon. Rockwell is replacing the Toshibas with Fujitsu now. Other manufacturers are still using the Toshiba and we have not had the same failures with them - possibly because the drive is mounted with a fan blowing cooling air across it. You should get an imaging program such as Norton Ghost (there are many others too) and make an image of your drive to CD or to another hard drive. I would strongly recommend this even if your drive is not faulty at this time as it will save you a lot of time when it does eventually fail. Another obvious thing to check regarding the slowdown is free disk space and fragmentation of the drive. Historical Data and other logging files constantly append and the drive becomes horribly fragmented over time. If possible it is wise to shut down the application every few months and defragment the drive. Good luck - as you can see you are not alone in having this problem.

Well what I finally done to get the machine back up. I called AB and reset my activation codes for RSview and RSlinx. Grabed a desktop that was not being used and used it. I am in the process now of making this a more permanent fix and installing a 17 touchscreen where the versaview was. This was a huge learning curve for me. But hey what doesn't kill us only makes us smarter. right? And it did have a Toshiba hardrive, and it does have a huge spot on the drive that is corrupt. Thanks for all of your help. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!